MRE meals are an essential part of modern-day survival. They have become the go-to food for hikers, campers, and adventurers all around the world. Whether you’re packing for a long expedition or just stocking up for a potential crisis, MREs are essential to having nourishing, satisfying meals on hand. But with all the different varieties available, it can be hard to know which ones are best. To help narrow down your choices, we’ve compiled a list of the 10 best MRE meals available on the market today, plus how to choose the best ones and what nutrition factors to consider when selecting them.
What Is MRE Meals?
MRE stands for Meals Ready to Eat and is a form of pre-packaged ration that is designed to be eaten in emergency situations, such as during natural disasters or while camping. These meals don’t require cooking or refrigeration and can be stored at room temperature for up to three years. MREs are typically composed of a main entrée, side dishes, crackers or bread, and a dessert. They also come with condiments like peanut butter, jelly, salt and pepper packets.
In recent years, the quality of MRE meals has greatly improved due to advances in technology and techniques used to make them. Nowadays, these meals are known for their convenience and taste as well as their nutritional value. Top-quality MRE meals can provide an excellent source of protein, carbohydrates, fiber and other essential nutrients needed for a healthy diet. Additionally, they contain fewer preservatives than traditional canned food items.
Whether you’re looking for an easy meal solution during an emergency situation or just want a convenient way to get your daily nutrition on the go – MRE meals may be the perfect choice!
List of 10 Best MRE Meals
When it comes to MRE meals, there are a lot of great options out there to choose from. Here is a list of 10 of the best MRE meals available:
- Mountain House Pro-Pak Beef Stew: This beef stew is made with real beef, potatoes, carrots and peas in a delicious beef broth. It’s packed with 26 grams of protein per serving and perfect for emergency preparedness or camping trips.
- Wise Company Chili Mac with Beef and Beans: This chili mac comes with hearty ingredients like beef and beans in a delicious chili sauce. Plus, it offers 14 grams of protein per serving and plenty of fiber to keep you full longer.
- Augason Farms Chicken Noodle Soup: This chicken noodle soup has tender chunks of chicken, noodles and carrots in a flavorful broth that’ll warm you up on cold days. Each serving has 16 grams of protein and lots of vitamins and minerals too!
- Mainstay Emergency Food Supply Italy Pasta Primavera: Enjoy the flavors of Italy with this delicious pasta primavera dish made with pasta, vegetables, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and spices for added flavor. It’s easy to prepare – just add hot water – and offers 9 grams of protein per serving.
- Outdoor Herbivore Southwest Fiesta Rice Pilaf: Spice up your MRE meal with this Southwest-style rice pilaf made with wild rice, red bell peppers, corn, green chilies and more! It’s vegan friendly plus provides 12 grams of plant-based protein per serving!
- Backpacker’s Pantry Pad Thai With Tofu: Satisfy your craving for Thai food on the go with this vegan pad thai dish made with rice noodles, tofu and vegetables in a flavorful sweet & sour sauce! Each package contains 8 servings so you can share it too!
- AlpineAire Foods Cheese & Broccoli Bake: A classic combination – cheese & broccoli – makes this entrée a comfort food favorite! Add hot water to the pouch for an instant dish that packs 13 grams of protein per serving as well as vitamin A & C too!
- Eversafe Chicken Teriyaki With Rice Entrée: Get that takeout taste without leaving your campsite when you make this chicken teriyaki entree! Made with white meat chicken pieces in a savory teriyaki sauce over fluffy white rice – each package contains 4 servings for sharing if desired!
- ReadyWise Mexican Style Rice & Beans Entrée: Enjoy the flavors south-of-the border when you make this Mexican style entrée complete with black beans, white rice, tomatoes and peppers seasoned just right for maximum flavor! Plus each packet contains 7 servings so everyone can get their fill at mealtime!
- Legacy Premium Tomato Basil Penne Pasta Entrée: Treat yourself to an Italian feast when you make this comforting penne pasta entrée packed with tomatoes, basil and Parmesan cheese blended together into one delicious dish! Each package contains 6 servings or enough for 3 hearty meals if desired!
How To Choose The Best MRE Meals
When you’re looking for the best MRE meals, there are certain factors that you should consider before making a purchase. Here are five factors to help you choose the right MRE meals for your needs.
First, you should know what type of meal will provide the most nutritional value. You should also consider the quality of ingredients and flavors used in creating the meal. If you have special dietary needs, such as allergies or vegan/vegetarian diets, make sure that the meal fits those needs as well. Additionally, make sure to read any labels on packages to ensure they meet all your requirements.
Second, always check the expiry date of any product you plan to purchase. Freshness is key when it comes to MRE meals; if an item is past its expiration date, it could potentially cause food poisoning or other health risks.
Thirdly, take into account how much of a serving size you can expect from each meal. Some meals will be enough for one person while others may have multiple servings per package. Make sure to read all labeling carefully and figure out which option is best for your needs accordingly.
Fourthly, consider where your food comes from; many companies source their ingredients from different countries around the world. Make sure that if this is important to you, then research into where exactly each ingredient has been sourced from before making your final decision.
Finally, think about cost-effectiveness when purchasing any MRE meals; there is often significant price variation between different brands and types of these meals so be sure to compare prices and find something within budget that still meets all your criteria for quality and nutrition value.
Advantages Of Taking Best MRE Meals
MRE meals offer several advantages for those looking for a convenient, ready-to-eat meal. They are lightweight, easy to store and transport, and come in a variety of flavors and styles. MREs are also easy to prepare, making them ideal for campers, hikers, soldiers, and other people who need to eat on the go.
The main advantage of MREs is their convenience. Since they do not require refrigeration or cooking, they can be eaten anywhere without hassle or mess. This makes them ideal for camping trips or long hikes when there is no access to a kitchen or stove. Additionally, MREs come pre-packaged in individual bags so that each person can easily grab the meal they want without having to share food with others.
Another benefit of MREs is that they do not require any special preparation. All you have to do is open the package and follow the instructions on the back of the bag in order to heat up or prepare your meal. This makes them incredibly quick and easy to make, which is great when you don’t have much time.
Additionally, MREs are packed with nutrients that provide a balanced diet while out in the wilderness or on long journeys away from home. Many brands offer vegetarian options as well as meals that contain high amounts of protein and carbs, which can help keep your energy levels up while adventuring outside.
Finally, since these meals last a long time without needing refrigeration or freezing, they are perfect for stocking up on emergency supplies at home just in case there is an unexpected power outage or other emergency situation where access to food may be limited.
Nutrition Factors To Choosing Best MRE Meals
When choosing the best MRE meals, it is important to consider the nutritional value of the meal. Look for MREs that are fortified with essential vitamins and nutrients, such as calcium, iron, and Vitamin A & D. It’s also a good idea to check if a meal contains enough protein and carbohydrates to provide you with the energy you need.
Look for MREs that contain high-quality proteins such as beef, chicken, pork or fish. These proteins should be free of added hormones and antibiotics. Additionally, look for whole grains such as brown rice or quinoa which are loaded with fiber and other micronutrients that help to keep you full longer and stabilize your blood sugar levels.
Another important nutritional factor to consider when selecting an MRE is fat content. While some fat is necessary for energy production, too much can cause health problems such as obesity and heart disease. Check the nutrition facts label on the package for total amount of fat per serving size so that you can make an informed decision about which product provides the right balance of fats for optimal health.
Finally, make sure that any MRE meal you choose is low in sodium and added sugars. Excess amounts of either can lead to high blood pressure and other long-term health conditions. Many manufacturers have reduced salt content in their products over recent years but it’s still important to read labels carefully when shopping for your favorite meals.
In conclusion, MRE meals are a great option for those who need a convenient and nutritious meal on the go. They come in a variety of flavors and offer a variety of nutritional benefits. Choosing the best MRE meals can be challenging due to the large number of options available, but by taking into consideration factors such as calorie count, shelf life, price, ease of preparation, and nutrition content you can easily find one that fits your needs. With their convenience, portability, and variety of flavors and nutrient content; MRE meals are becoming an increasingly popular choice for those looking for an easy to prepare meal solution.