Buying a car is a major decision. It can also be quite complicated, what with all the paperwork and technical jargon used in the dealership. And so there you are sitting in the Honda dealership and one of those confusing words comes up, “This is what you get with our Honda warranty…”. your brain races fast as you try to remember your research on warranties and what they are. You draw a blank.
What is a Honda Warranty?
A car warranty is simply insurance. Insurance against a breakdown. As much as cars can be very reliable, they do break down, and often at the unlikeliest of times. This is where a warranty comes into play. And since you have purchased a new or certified used Honda (I hope it’s a Honda BRV, I just love that car), we will specifically discuss a Honda warranty, or warranties, since there are a number of warranty types covering certain things.
Honda Factory Warranty
A Honda factory warranty will cover a number of things, depending on whether your vehicle is new or certified new.
- New vehicles. For new cars, the Honda warranty covers you for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever one comes first. It covers most repairs that come as a result of manufacturing defects, including repairs to genuine Honda accessories fitted at the time of purchase. A new Honda will also come with the Honda Power Train Warranty that covers the engine, transmission, transaxle, transcase, and the drive systems (rear or front) for 5 years or 60,000 miles, and a corrosion warranty that covers against rust on any part of the original body panels (5 years/unlimited mileage).
- Certified used vehicles. The Honda factory warranty is transferable, meaning if you buy a Honda which is under 3 years or 36,000 miles, your car is still covered by the factory warranty for the remainder of the original Honda factory warranty. On top of that, when you purchase a certified used Honda, you get an additional 1 year or 12,000 miles full cover. For the powertrain warranty, you get 7 years/100,000 miles coverage.
Understanding Honda Care – The Honda Extended Warranty
The Honda Care warranty is an extended warranty to cover your Honda beyond the factory. If you plan on getting this Honda extended warranty, make sure to extend the warranty before the factory warranty expires. If you keep up with scheduled maintenance for your car, Honda Care will be a lifesaver as it covers almost every part of your car.
The Honda Care warranty has a lot of benefits to give you peace of mind on the road and they include:
- Genuine Honda parts and service
- 24 hour Honda roadside assistance
- Concierge emergency service
- Rental Car Reimbursement
- Trip Interruption Benefits
- Personalized Travel Plans
- Fully Transferable
The Honda Care warranty also includes extensive coverage that includes every component of your car, unless it is specifically excluded in the warranty.
How Much Does the Honda Warranty Cost?
That is the question we all ask when purchasing something. After all, everyone wants value for money. No one wants to buy something they won’t benefit from. Before I answer your question, I will pose a few of my own to help draw out the value of a warranty.
- What is the price of worry free driving? To be honest, peace is something that you can put a price tag on. Nothing feels as good as knowing that if anything happens as you enjoy the road in your Honda, Honda roadside assistance is just a call away.
- Do you always have a stash of cash on you in case of breakdowns? Most breakdowns are never budgeted for. This means without good coverage, you will have to foot the repair costs yourself, throwing yourself way off budget. Goodbye vacation.
- How good (and disciplined) are you when it comes to saving for repair costs. Most of us are not. Yet a warranty is exactly that, only you can’t dip your fingers into it as you can with a savings account.
So, how much does a warranty cost? Surprisingly, not much. Depending on the warranty plan you opt for, a warranty can cost you as little as $400 a year. But… Yes, there is a but in everything in life, that’s just how life is. Back to the “but”. Many extended warranties depend on how well the car is maintained and how many miles it has clocked.
Honda Warranty: Luxury or Necessity?
People often debate whether a warranty is a necessity or a luxury for those with extra money to throw around. In my opinion, the answer is simple: is peace a luxury or a necessity.