|Canon Pixma MX492|
|Print Media Type||Standard paper, Legal Paper, Photo paper (Platinum, Glossy Photo Everyday Use, Glossy, Glossy Plus, Pro Luster, Semi-Gloss Plus, and Matte Photo), A5, A4, B5, 4 x 6 inch, 5 x 7 inch, 8 x 10 inch, Envelope DL and Envelope Com 10|
|Maximum Print Speed||8.8 ppm (b/w); 4.4 ppm (color)|
|Types of Cartridges||Canon PG-245 (black; XL available) and Canon CL-246 (color; XL available)|
|Additional Features||Cloud storage available, WiFi printing, Autofeeder|
|Item Dimensions||17.2 x 11.7 x 7.5 inches|
|Price Range||Inexpensive (roughly $50)|
This Canon Pixma MX492 review will cover the features of the Canon Pixma MX491, what it’s compatible with, some of the pros and cons, as well as some thoughts from other owners of this printer. With this Canon Pixma MX492 review, you will have a much better idea of whether or not this printer is a great fit for your needs.
The MX492 is a compact all-in-one printer that offers high-quality prints while offering built-in fax, WiFi options, and works with both iOS and Windows. It is a cost-effective solution for homeowners and small companies that need a multifunctional printer.
Top Features of Canon Pixma MX492
- A multifunctional printer that prints in both color or black and white. In addition to printing documents, it also sends and receives faxes, scans documents, and works as a copier.
- This printer can receive documents from both Windows and Mac computers wirelessly, as well as receiving files from mobile devices with Android or iOS devices without the need of installing drivers.
- It is a compact printer, only 11.7 x 17.2 x 7.5 inches, a full 30 percent smaller than previous models, but weighs 13 pounds. The LCD screen is only one and a half inches and not a touchscreen. However, have a keyboard and color buttons that are clearly labeled for copying, scanning, printing, and maneuvering through the menu.
- The maximum size of media you can print on is 8.5 x 14-inch paper, but you can print on envelopes, labels, and more. This includes 4 x 6 and 5 x 7 photograph cards, and most cardstock invitations.
- The fax on the Pixma MX492 can store up to 19 numbers for rapid dialing and has enough memory to handle 50 pages.
- To keep the printer compact in size, the output tray unfolds and extends that can be put away when not in use to conserve space. The tray is lightweight to make it easier to use.
- While the printer works in both color or black and white, it is set up to automatically print in black and white if you are out of color ink. There are also extended life print cartridges available for this model of printer.
What the Canon Pixma MX492 Works with
- The Pixma MX492 works with standard printer paper, as well as legal size documents up to 8.5 x 14 inches. In addition to standard paper, this printer can print on 4×6 and 8×10 photo paper, and envelopes. The ideal paper types to use for photographs include Platinum, Glossy Photo Everyday Use, Glossy, Glossy Plus, Pro Luster, Semi-Gloss Plus, and Matte Photo.
- The standard sizes that work with the Pixma MX492 are the letter, legal, A5, A4, B5, 4 x 6 inch, 5 x 7 inch, 8 x 10 inch, Envelope DL and Envelope Com 10. However, you can print on any non-standard size of paper as long as it is no smaller than 4 x 6 inch or larger than 8.5 x 26.61 inches, and is a thickness of .02 inches to .08 inches.
- Whether you are a Windows user or an Apple user, the Pixma MX492 is compatible. You can print from Google Cloud, AirPrint, or the Canon Print app which is free to download. As long as your mobile device (phone or tablet) has access to the cloud services, you are able to use any model.
- It has an automatic document feeder that can hold up to 20 sheets of paper at a time and uses Inkjet ink for high-quality documents. The bottom tray of the printer can hold up to 100 sheets of paper.
- Compatible with a majority of electronic devices
- Software included
- Low price
- Short ink life
- Often jams with large print jobs
- Inability to duplex
What Users are Saying
- Users have found that print quality is exceptional and for small uses (such as personal) the ink life is worth the money. Many giving an in-depth Canon Pixma MX492 review did find that it is worth purchasing the XL ink if you are considering using the printer often. It takes only a few minutes to set the printer up, even without the use of a USB cable.
- Users on giving the Canon Pixma MX492 review on Amazon have commented that the printer’s size and ability to connect to the cloud make this a great home purchase. The printer has between four to five stars because it is simple to set up, allows them to print from anywhere, and meets most needs for less than $100.
- Unfortunately, not everyone giving a Canon Pixma MX492 review found it an ideal printer, citing the lack of ink life and the cheap feeder trays as a definite negative for the printer. With larger print jobs, the users found the printer often jammed and that changing the cartridges is a pain. Finally, one user cited that the display was hard to read due to its size and lack of a backlight.
To summarize this Canon Pixma MX492 review, it is safe to say this compact printer is more designed for home use than professional use. However, it’s enough for small companies that do not need to print very often or have basic print needs. It is a lower cost printer and works very well for the price. The ability to print from anywhere and to serve many purposes make it a great buy, but it would be wise to have backup ink cartridges on hand.