Concealers are a terrific addition to any makeup routine, but many don’t hold up in the rain or shine. When you start sweating, your concealer is toast and reapplying it is unpleasant at best and fruitless at worst. In these situations, you need a waterproof concealer, not just any concealer.
If you want a concealer that won’t wrinkle, crack, or melt, opt for one that is certified waterproof. Fortunately, several long-lasting, waterproof concealers are available in various product forms—many of which are worthwhile purchases.
Before making your final choice, it may help to look at what others consider the best water-based concealer on the market. There are several different types of water-based concealer for different purposes. We’ll look at a few of them and some reviews and recommendations that help point you in the right direction.
We’ve rounded up some best water-based concealers that fit your needs. Check out water-based concealer and see which one is right for you.
Top 5 Water Based Concealers: Quick Comparison
- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Multi-Use Concealer -Best Overall
- e.l.f. 16HR Camo Concealer -Best for Hiding Dark Circles
- NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Contour Concealer -Best for Covering Blemishes
- Maybelline Fit Me Liquid Concealer Makeup -Best Liquid Concealer
- NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Concealer Serum -Best Concealer Serum
Top 5 Best Water Based Concealer: Reviews Ahead
1. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Multi-Use Concealer
Looking for a concealer for dark circles treatment that works? Eliminate the signs of ageing, including dark circles and redness, with a multi-use concealer that instantly reduces signs of ageing. Maybelline’s instant age rewind eraser multi-use concealer can turn back the clock for you. This formula, enriched with light-deflecting pigments, helps brighten your skin for an even, more radiant look. It’s formulated to reduce the look of dark circles and sensitivity under the eyes, even during sleep and retinyl palmitate to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles. This highly concentrated pigmented skin care powerhouse features its tiniest brush for added precision with a seamless finish.
Features & Benefits:
- Maybelline has everything that you require in its inventory.
- The under-eye concealer with complete coverage eliminates dark circles and fine wrinkles almost immediately, resulting in a discernible reduction in puffiness.
- Goji berries and Haloxyl, a powerful blood circulation stimulant, are included in this concealer’s formulation to provide a radiant and renewed eye area.
- The colour corrector comes equipped with a micro-corrector applicator, which makes it very simple to use.
- Instant age rewind eraser is a multi-purpose concealer that has the ability to hide blemishes, redness, and signs of ageing.
- For a flawless base, try some of Maybelline’s makeup products. They come in various coverage levels and application methods, including liquid, stick, and cushion foundations.
- Micellar water from Garnier can be used as a face wash in the morning before applying Maybelline and as a makeup remover at night.
2. e.l.f. 16HR Camo Concealer
e.l.f.’s concealer is the perfect solution for hiding dark circles, blemishes and other imperfections. This super-pigmented formula blends seamlessly and stays in place for up to 16 hours. The long-lasting coverage helps keep makeup looking fresh. It is able to conceal any imperfections while highlighting your best features. This formula is highly pigmented, and only a small amount is needed to achieve full coverage. With its creamy texture and full coverage, this concealer goes on easily with no creasing under the eye or accentuating fine lines, pores or wrinkles.
Features & Benefits:
- To get perfect skin, use the e.l.f. 16hr Camo Concealer is a complete concealer that lasts for 16 hours and covers, corrects, contours, and highlights. You can match the hue of your 16hr Camo Concealer by looking at the picture on the bottle.
- The 16HR Camo Concealer features a thick, highly pigmented solution that dries matte, quickly, and does not settle into fine wrinkles or creases. The perfect solution for any skin type.
- Thanks to the wide doe foot applicator that distributes the creamy substance evenly and precisely, you can sculpt, contour, and highlight with this liquid concealer.
- Moisturizes and protects with avocado oil, while kaolin clay helps keep shine at bay.
3. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Can’t Stop Won’t Stop Contour Concealer
Introducing the NYX professional makeup can’t stop won’t stop contour concealer, featuring a creamy, blendable matte formula that allows you to sculpt and shape your face. This concealer is ideal for covering blemishes, acne scars and dark circles around the eyes. This lightweight and creamy formula blend seamlessly for a seamless look under the eye and on the face, with no cakiness or creasing. A new take on your everyday liquid concealer with all the coverage you need and none of the cakey-ness. The water-resistant, long-lasting formula provides a soft focus effect that blurs imperfections, so you won’t be able to stop staring at yourself. Keep it fresh and alive with this matte finish formula that provides a natural-looking matte look.
Features & Benefits:
- Use NYX Professional Makeup to cover up blemishes, illuminate dark circles, and accentuate features. This contouring concealer is available in a wide range of hues to coordinate with the foundation of the same name.
- Cover anything confidently using this 24-hour, waterproof, matte-finish concealer that may be applied in the morning and removed at night.
- Choose from our extensive selection of face products, including concealer, bronzer, blush, foundations, palettes, contouring, and powders, to achieve the perfect colour correction and coverage for any occasion.
4. Maybelline Fit Me Liquid Concealer Makeup
Maybelline fit me liquid concealer makeup is oil-free, providing natural coverage and a lightweight feel. It covers dark circles, acne marks and imperfections with a super blendable formula that looks as natural as it feels. It can also be used on areas that need more coverage, like around the nose and any spots. The translucent formula blends seamlessly to help cover imperfections and brighten skin with a natural finish. Get fit and ready every day, looking refreshed and radiant with this ideal liquid concealer!
Features & Benefits:
- This concealer comes in a wide range of tones to complement your skin, and the oil-free formula allows your face to breathe while providing full, natural-looking protection that won’t clog your pores.
- Use Maybelline Fit Me liquid concealer to cover redness, blemishes, and under-eye circles for a flawless, natural look, regardless of your skin tone (from Fair to Cocoa).
- The Maybelline New York Fit Me collection features all the makeup essentials, including the Dewy+ Smooth foundation with SPF 18, the Matte + Poreless foundation, powder, concealer, finishing powder, and the blush.
5. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Bare With Me Concealer Serum
NYX professional makeup bare with me concealer serum provides 24hr hydration, helping to keep your skin looking fresh and youthful. The lightweight formula blends seamlessly for a full-coverage concealer that won’t settle into fine lines. The serum-based formula helps improve the appearance of imperfections, acne scars and dark under-eye circles. The 24-hour concealer serum is your complexion’s newest secret weapon. The liquid formula blends into the skin like a second skin and offers an immediate, long-lasting hydration benefit that continues working throughout the day to replenish dark, dry areas.
Features & Benefits:
- This skincare serum comes in the form of a concealer that can be used under the eyes, on the face, and all over the body. It hydrates the skin for up to 24 hours, has a smooth, flawless appearance, and a lightweight feel, giving the appearance of already healthy skin in an instant.
- With just one pump of this cruelty-free, vegan solution that contains circa, tremella mushroom, and green tea, you can conceal dark circles, acne, pimples, redness, inflammation, and dry patches with a medium level of coverage that is unnoticeable and mess-free.
- Your look will be complete when you use our comprehensive collection of face products, which can help with colour correction and coverage. These products include concealer, bronzer, foundations, blush, powders, palettes, and contouring tools.
How to Choose the Best Water-Based Concealer
Concealers exist in various forms, consistencies, and finishes, ranging from liquid to cream to stick. The idea is to find the appropriate formula and tone for whatever issue you attempt to conceal. A brief reference guide:
Whelan recommends using a hue, a shade or two lighter than your natural skin tone to “brighten up the under eye area and conceal the dark circles.” Opt for peach undertones to counteract the dark brown tint of dark spots. To conceal acne, attempt to match your skin tone as closely as possible, or use a green or yellow-tinted solution to help neutralize the redness of the spot.
Whelan recommends concealers with radiant or aluminizing formulations for dark circles and under-eye discolouration. Look for a long-lasting matte finish that will stay in place all day for acne and dark spots. Avoid anything glittery or overly thick for older skin, as it “will look unnatural,” warns Whelan. Rather, use a medium-coverage liquid concealer sparingly.
Coverage and formulation
Because creams can settle into small lines and wrinkles on this thinner skin, our specialists favour liquid solutions for concealing around the eyes. Whelan recommends “a thicker cream formula like a stick concealer” for pimples and acne, as well as sun spots, black spots, hyperpigmentation, or age spots, because they’re designed to remain put.
How to Use Concealer
Concealer is a small makeup step that helps conceal any remaining discolouration. According to makeup artist Erica Whelan, you should apply primer first, then “use foundation first to level out the skin tone, then apply concealer to the location for maximum coverage.” Then, set it all with a loose face powder for flawless, long-lasting effects.
However, the best results depend on the region you’re working on.
- Whelan recommends “dotting the concealer under the eye and tapping the product into place with your ring finger or a little fluffy eye shadow brush” for dark circles.
- Whelan recommends targeting an acne spot “a fine pointed brush to apply concealer precisely where you want it Blend the concealer’s borders into the skin using a brush, sponge edge, or finger for a smooth blend.”
- For mature skin, use a small fluffy eyeshadow brush to apply liquid concealer for a fresh, natural-looking finish.
FAQs: Water-Based Concealer
Can you wear concealer swimming?
Yes, if you use a waterproof concealer like the ones on this list. Using a setting spray after applying concealer can help protect it on hot days or whether you’re in the pool, lake, or ocean.
Is there sweatproof concealer?
In theory, you’ll need a waterproof concealer. Many traditional concealer formulas may state “sweatproof” or something similar, but a waterproof concealer is essential for staying put in severe heat and humidity.
Is waterproof concealer full-coverage?
Yes. Most, if not all, waterproof concealers are thicker, which means they won’t budge and will provide full coverage. This list’s concealers are all full-coverage concealers.