Gum disease is also known as periodontal disease and is an infection of your gums, bone, and tissue around your teeth. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 50% of Americans over 30 years old have some form of gum disease. If left untreated it can lead to teeth and bone loss, which can cause serious health problems.
The best toothpaste for gum disease is different from the best toothpaste for general use. This will help to heal your damaged gums and reduce or even eliminate the possibility of future problems.
Best Toothpaste For Gum Disease Reviews:
1. Parodontax Toothpaste for Bleeding Gums
Parodontax Toothpaste for Bleeding Gums is a gingivitis treatment and cavity prevention toothpaste that keeps your gums healthy, your teeth strong, and your breath fresh with a cool and refreshing mint flavor. This stannous fluoride toothpaste prevents bleeding gums and fights gingivitis by removing plaque and killing plaque bacteria, which can lead to gingivitis.
Parodontax Clean Mint toothpaste for bleeding gums is clinically proven and specially formulated to keep the seal between gums and teeth tight, leaving your breath fresh and improving your overall gum health with daily use. If you spit blood when you brush or floss your teeth, this gum health toothpaste is the right choice for you. Brush with this anticavity and antiplaque toothpaste single pack for two minutes, twice daily. Try Parodontax toothpaste and leave bleeding gums behind.
|Item Weight||0.28 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||2.87 x 5.19 x 6.77 inches|
|Material Type Free||ERROR: #N/A|
- One 3.4 oz tube of Clean Mint Parodontax Toothpaste for Bleeding Gums, Gingivitis Treatment and Cavity Prevention
- Bleeding gums treatment that breaks plaque apart and kills plaque bacteria
- Antiplaque toothpaste that is three times more effective than sodium monofluorophosphate toothpaste at removing plaque, reversing the effects of gingivitis with regular brushing
- Anticavity toothpaste that keeps your teeth strong
- Gingivitis toothpaste specially formulated to keep the seal between your gums and teeth tight and improve your overall gum health
- Features a cool and refreshing mint flavor to keep your breath fresh
- Brush for two minutes, twice daily
2. Parodontax Whitening Toothpaste for Bleeding Gums
Parodontax Whitening Toothpaste for Bleeding Gums is a teeth whitening toothpaste and gingivitis treatment that leaves your teeth brighter and your gums healthier as it helps prevent bleeding gums. This stannous fluoride toothpaste for adults removes plaque and kills plaque bacteria, preventing gingivitis, which can lead to bleeding gums. By brushing your teeth at least twice a day, this gingivitis toothpaste and bleeding gums treatment gently whiten your teeth as it prevents cavities and keeps your breath fresh, strengthening your teeth and keeping the seal between gums and teeth tight.
Specially formulated to treat bleeding gums, this daily fluoride cavity protection toothpaste is three times more effective at removing plaque and clinically proven to help reverse the effects of gingivitis. If you spit blood when you brush or floss your teeth, use this toothpaste 3 pack to fight gingivitis. Brush for two minutes, twice daily. Try Parodontax toothpaste and leave bleeding gums behind.
Satisfaction Guarantee If for any reason you are not satisfied with any GSK Consumer Healthcare product, GSK Consumer Healthcare will provide you with a reimbursement within 45 days of the date of purchase. Please note that because GSK is unable to control the quality of our products sold by unauthorized sellers, the Guarantee is not available for products purchased from unauthorized sellers due to potential quality issues outside GSK’s control.
|Item Weight||10.2 Ounces|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||1.42 x 6.56 x 5.19 inches|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
- Three 3.4 oz tubes of Parodontax Whitening Toothpaste for Bleeding Gums, Teeth Whitening and Gingivitis Treatment
- Anticavity toothpaste that reverses the effects of gingivitis and prevents bleeding gums
- Gently whitens your teeth as it removes plaque and kills plaque bacteria
- Effective anticavity and antiplaque toothpaste for strong teeth, healthy gums and fresh breath
- Formulated to keep the seal between gums and teeth tight, protecting you against gingivitis
- Gingivitis toothpaste 3 pack keeps you in stock for longer
- Brush for two minutes, twice daily
3. Colgate Whitening Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
Colgate Sensitive Whitening toothpaste provides 24/7 sensitivity protection with twice-daily brushing. This sensitive teeth toothpaste contains potassium nitrate, clinically proven to soothe the nerves in exposed dentin. Regular use provides long-lasting sensitivity relief and removes surface stains to help keep teeth whiter and brighter (with regular brushing vs. non-whitening toothpaste). Plus, Colgate Sensitive Whitening toothpaste helps repair weakened enamel, protects teeth from cavities, and provides the freshness you trust from Colgate.
|Item Weight||1.4 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||7.78 x 1.69 x 6 inches|
|Active Ingredients||Sodium fluoride|
- Specialty Whitening Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
- Sensitive Teeth Toothpaste, Provides 24/7 Sensitivity Protection (with twice-daily brushing)
- Maximum Strength FDA-allowed Antisensitivity Active Ingredient. Glycerin used to help hydrate the mouth
- Whitening Toothpaste with Superior Stain Removal Formula
- Builds Increasing Protection Against Future Sensitivity (with continued twice-daily brushing)
- Freshens breath with fresh mint gel
- Helps to Restore Teeth’s Natural Whiteness (with regular brushing vs. non-whitening toothpaste)
4. Crest Toothpaste Gum Detoxify Deep Clean
A detoxifying deep clean created after years of research by Crest scientists, this toothpaste has been specially formulated to target the millions of plaque bacteria around the gum line. Crest Gum Detoxify Deep Clean uses a activated foam to help penetrate hard to reach areas, finding and neutralizing harmful plaque bacteria around the gum line for clinically proven healthier gums. †Helps reverse gingivitis *with twice daily brushing.
|Item Weight||12.3 Ounces|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||1.5 x 5.95 x 5.79 inches|
|Material Type Free||ERROR: #N/A|
A Deep Clean for Healthier Gums
Introducing new Crest Gum Detoxify Deep Clean toothpaste. Created after years of research by Crest scientists, it’s been specially formulated to target the millions of plaque bacteria around the gum line.
Crest Gum Detoxify Deep Clean uses a cooling activated foam to help penetrate hard to reach areas, finding and neutralizing harmful plaque bacteria around the gum line for clinically proven healthier gums.
Gently Cools Gum
|The cooling sensation during and after brushing leaves you with a fresh and cool feeling.|
5. Sensodyne Complete Protection Sensitive Toothpaste For Gingivitis
Sensodyne Complete Protection Sensitive Toothpaste For Gingivitis is a sensitive teeth treatment specially formulated to provide all-around daily toothpaste needs in one complete toothpaste with stannous fluoride. This gum health toothpaste also delivers anticavity protection as it protects you from pain triggers.
With twice daily brushing, this sensitive teeth whitening toothpaste rebuilds and rehardens enamel fights gingivitis, and helps you restore the natural whiteness of stained teeth. At 3.4 ounces, this Extra Fresh toothpaste comes in a convenient travel size within TSA requirements, making it easy to take with you. For best results, brush for two minutes, twice daily.
Get lasting protection from tooth sensitivity with Sensodyne. Satisfaction Guarantee If for any reason you are not satisfied with any GSK Consumer Healthcare product, GSK Consumer Healthcare will provide you with a reimbursement within 45 days of the date of purchase.
Please note that because GSK is unable to control the quality of our products sold by unauthorized sellers, the Guarantee is not available for products purchased from unauthorized sellers due to potential quality issues outside GSK’s control. Please contact GSK Consumer Healthcare directly for more information.
|Item Weight||0.25 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||1.42 x 6.56 x 1.72 inches|
|Active Ingredients||Stannous fluoride 0.454% (0.15% w/v fluoride ion) – Anticavity, Antigingivitis, Antihypersensitivity|
- One 3.4 oz tube of Extra Fresh Sensodyne Complete Protection Sensitive Toothpaste For Gingivitis, Sensitive Teeth Treatment
- Formulated to provide all around daily toothpaste needs in one complete antigingivitis toothpaste
- Anticavity toothpaste that strengthens enamel and relieves sensitivity pain, offering round the clock sensitivity protection
- Gum health toothpaste that helps prevent cavities and restores the natural whiteness of your teeth, leaving you with fresh breath
- Sensodyne Complete Protection toothpaste for sensitive teeth is specially formulated to offer multiple benefits in one complete toothpaste
- Extra Fresh toothpaste for a clean feeling and fresh breath
- Brush for two minutes, twice daily
6. Sensodyne Pronamel Intensive Enamel Repair Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
Sensodyne Pronamel Intensive Enamel Repair Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth is Pronamel’s most advanced enamel care formulation, clinically proven to actively reharden and strengthen enamel to protect teeth from acid erosion. This enamel repairing toothpaste helps minerals penetrate deep into the enamel surface to repair microdamage, then rebuild and reharden enamel for strong, healthy teeth.
Sensodyne Pronamel acid erosion toothpaste is made with potassium nitrate and sodium fluoride, protecting you against cavities and damage caused by exposure to everyday acidic foods or stomach acid. Brushing twice a day with this Extra Fresh toothpaste 3 pack protects your teeth from pain triggers, providing ongoing sensitivity protection and relief, with a refreshing taste for fresh breath. Build a stronger foundation with Pronamel, so your teeth can look and feel your best.
|Item Weight||0.93 Grams|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||1.5 x 6.63 x 5.25 inches|
|Active Ingredients||Sodium fluoride|
- Three 3.4 oz tubes of Extra Fresh Sensodyne Pronamel Intensive Enamel Repair Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth, to Reharden and Strengthen Enamel
- Toothpaste for enamel repair that inhibits demineralization, repairs microdamage and rebuilds enamel strength
- Providing lasting relief, this sensitive enamel toothpaste 3 pack protects your against pain triggers
- Strong enamel toothpaste for tooth enamel repair that prevents cavities and acid erosion from exposure to acidic foods and drinks
- Sensitivity toothpaste with fluoride to protect you against cavities
- Extra Fresh toothpaste that leaves your teeth clean and freshens your breath
- Brush for two minutes with this sensitive toothpaste, twice daily
How to clean your teeth if you have gum disease
Signs of gingivitis (early gum disease) include bleeding gums, and you may have noticed this before you even went to see a dental professional. A complete explanation about gum disease and its causes is covered in our article on gum disease, but to recap, gingivitis is caused by bacteria not cleaned away thoroughly.
Left untreated, early gum disease will progress into periodontal disease, where the bone is lost around the teeth and they may start to become loose.
The single most important thing you can do to reverse early gum disease, and to slow down the progression of periodontal disease, is a thorough cleaning. That includes:
- Brushing at least twice daily, for two minutes, using an electric toothbrush.
- Using interdental cleaning aids daily – interdental brushes, floss, and water flosses are all options available.
- Supplementary mouthwashes with active ingredients to minimise bacteria in the mouth.
- Professional cleaning to help remove calculus (tartar) to make cleaning easier at home.
A good cleaning technique, on a daily basis, will help lessen the amount of gum disease causing bacteria in the mouth. And most of this benefit comes from the physical action of brushing and/or flossing etc.
Are there toothpastes that strengthen gums?
The short answer is yes! There are definitely some kinds of toothpaste that will help your gums.
It is worth noting that the key to getting rid of gum disease, especially in the early stages, is good cleaning techniques at home.
And the main role of toothpaste is the prevention of cavities due to the fluoride in it.
But some toothpaste contains specific ingredients to help with gum disease.
Ingredients added to toothpaste can help manage gum disease in the following ways:
- Disclosing agents that dye plaque. This makes plaque easier to see and therefore easier to remove. Traditionally this is done using separate disclosing tablets, but now this can also be found in some toothpastes. As managing plaque to reduce bacteria is one of the key aspects of managing disease, it can be helpful to have this included in a toothpaste.
- Antibacterial agents that help to kill bacteria, preventing plaque formation and thus reducing the total number of bacteria in the mouth. This includes
- Sodium bicarbonate.
- Use of herbal ingredients including essential oils (although evidence mostly looks at these in mouthwash form)
- Regeneration of the gums and decreasing swelling. Hyaluronic acid is a newer ingredient, beneficial because of its anti-inflammatory effects. This means that it can reduce the swelling in the gums caused by your body’s reaction to the gum-disease causing bacteria. HA is also antibacterial in itself, helping to reduce the number of bacteria in the gums.
- Prevention of calculus (tartar) formation.
Best gentle toothpaste for sore gums
If you have sore gums, you may find that some toothpaste causes a burning sensation or even ulcers. If that is the case, you may want to try unflavoured or SLS-free toothpaste from the list above.
You may also want a toothpaste for receding gums, which may be sore. Receding gums can also cause tooth sensitivity, so you may be interested in combining a toothpaste for gingivitis and sensitivity, or having a look at our best sensitivity toothpaste.
A gentle toothpaste for sore gums is Gengigel (view it here on Amazon), which may also help with the healing of sore gums.
Gengigel is fluoride free, so I would advise using this in addition to fluoride containing toothpaste, or getting another source of fluoride, for a short period of time, before returning to a normal paste again.
Best whitening toothpastes if you have gum disease
Just because you have gum disease, it doesn’t mean that you need to put up with stains on your teeth. Whitening tubes of toothpaste won’t lighten the overall color of your teeth but will help remove dark colored stains from the surface.
My top recommendations for a toothpaste for gum disease which are also whitening are:
- Oral-B Gum & Enamel Repair Gentle Whitening Toothpaste (view on Amazon) – which contains Stannous Fluoride for protection against cavities and sensitivity, as well as it’s anti-plaque effect for helping to improve gingivitis.
- Sensodyne Sensitivity & Gum Whitening (view on Amazon) – which is a triple whammy as it also protects against cavities, sensitivity and gum disease due to the presence of Stannous Fluoride.
Best fluoride free toothpastes for gum disease
Whilst I don’t recommend fluoride free toothpaste, as you miss out on the known anti-cavity properties of fluoride, I respect that some people may still wish to avoid toothpaste containing fluoride.
In which case, there are two main options available to you:
- A fluoride free toothpaste that contains no fluoride and no major source of remineralizing agent, but still contains ingredients to help the gums. Whilst ingredients like xylitol have a small anti-cavity effect, it would not be enough to be remineralizing in the same way as fluoride.
- A fluoride free toothpaste that contains no fluoride and which does contain an alternative remineralizing agent. Calcium phosphates (such as hydroxyapatite) help reharden the tooth surface in a similar way to fluoride. These ingredients are newer than fluoride and are still undergoing long term studies, but have been FDA approved. They are normally more expensive than fluoride, but there is lots of evidence supporting their effectiveness.
I recommend that you consider the following fluoride free gum disease toothpaste:
- Biorepair® Gum Protection for a fluoride free toothpaste but which contains hydroxyapatite – and which actually made it to the top 5 gingivitis toothpastes above.
- Biomed Propoline Natural Toothpaste which contains herbal ingredients to help manage gum disease, and HAP for protection against cavities. — view it here on Amazon.
Best natural herbal toothpaste for gum disease
Natural and herbal toothpaste makes the most of naturally derived ingredients. However, they are not necessarily organic, and may still contain some synthetic ingredients. My two recommendations are:
- Biomed Propoline Natural Toothpaste which contains herbal ingredients to help manage gum disease, and HAP for protection against cavities.
- Green People Organic Fennel and Propolis Toothpaste which contains fluoride for protection against cavities, but also strives to contain natural, organic ingredients.
About the ingredients found in toothpastes for gingivitis
In the sections below I have included some information about the ingredients that are sometimes included with toothpaste for gum disease.
For a more complete index of what’s included in toothpaste, see our A-Z of toothpaste ingredients.
Chlorhexidine is antimicrobial, meaning that it kills bacteria and fungi in the mouth. The benefit of chlorhexidine is that it is able to stick to the mouth surface and so has a prolonged effect.
Its ability to prevent plaque formation after toothbrushing is magnified when it is combined with fluoride, which can be found in toothpaste.
In the U.S.A there aren’t any kinds of toothpaste available in the stores with chlorhexidine in, but you can use mouthwash instead, or get something on a prescription.
Lacalut Aktiv toothpaste, available on Amazon, is the only toothpaste currently available (at the time of writing) on Amazon.co.uk to contain this active ingredient.
There are many studies into the use of herbal ingredients, which have been used for centuries in some cultures. That said, the scientific evidence is limited as to whether these are more effective than other ingredients that could be added.
It does appear that the inclusion of natural herbal ingredients is more effective in managing gum disease than a toothpaste that contains no specific ingredient (e.g. chlorhexidine, triclosan, stannous fluoride, etc). In particular, herbal toothpaste seems to help in reducing plaque in the first few weeks of use, after which the effect is not as great.
Hyaluronic acid, or hyaluronan as it is also called, occurs naturally in the body and is found in many different tissues. You may have seen it in many different cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, from lip fillers to the treatment of osteoarthritis.
Evidence has shown hyaluronic acid to be anti-inflammatory, anti-oedematous, and anti-bacterial. Experiments on HA toothpaste show a reduction in bleeding gums. In fact, analysis of the data confirms “0.2% Hyaluronan containing gel has a beneficial effect in the treatment of plaque induced gingivitis”.
Peptides can include two different types of ingredients:
- enzymes and proteins normally found in saliva, and which naturally reduce the amount of bacteria in the mouth. Adding peptides to toothpaste causes a reaction which ultimately kills bacteria found in saliva and plaque.
- Peptides which help stimulate the body’s natural regeneration mechanisms to aid “regrowth” of the gums.
Examples of enzymes found in toothpaste include amyloglucosidase, glucose oxidase, and lactoperoxidase.
Examples of proteins found in toothpaste include lysozyme, lactoferrin, and colostrum.
Sodium bicarbonate, or baking soda, can be added to toothpaste and has been shown to have antimicrobial effects at high doses.
Stannous fluoride has an anticavity effect because of the fluoride element. But, unlike other forms of fluoride in toothpaste, it can also have a significant positive effect on the gums. Studies have shown that the stannous fluoride:
- Kills bacteria in plaque. Therefore prevents build up of plaque and irritation and bleeding gums caused by plaque.
- Is anti-inflammatory, reducing irritation to gums from plaque.
The addition of triclosan to fluoride toothpaste causes a reduction in plaque and gum disease. Unfortunately, due to potential safety concerns, there is currently no toothpaste with triclosan available on the US market.
Zinc is able to prevent plaque hardening into calculus. By preventing calculus build up, gums are easier to clean. Overall this means fewer bacteria buildup and therefore the gums are less likely to be affected by bacteria induced gingivitis.
On top of this, zinc itself is antibacterial so can also kill the bacteria leading to gum disease.
Zinc can be found in toothpaste as:
- Zinc + arginine – e.g. Colgate Total SF.
- Zinc gluconate – e.g. TheraBreath PerioTherapy.
- Zinc PCA – e.g. BioRepair toothpastes.
Is it possible to use a whitening toothpaste if you have gingivitis / which one is best?
Yes, it is possible to use whitening toothpaste if you have gum disease.
Whitening toothpaste removes stains from the teeth and is often more abrasive than regular toothpaste. It doesn’t actually whiten the overall color of the teeth, as explained in our article on the best whitening toothpaste.
But I should point out that this additional abrasiveness may cause further irritation to gums that are already sore and so you may want to avoid them.
Is there a difference between gingivitis and periodontitis?
Gingivitis is an early gum disease that affects only the gums. You would notice it as swollen and/or bleeding gums. Periodontitis is a more advanced gum disease with loss of bone around the tooth and often there is also receding gums.
What sort of toothpastes should I use with early gum disease (mild gingivitis)?
A basic toothpaste containing stannous fluoride, sodium bicarbonate, or herbal ingredients can help alleviate the swelling and bleeding associated with early gum disease. The most important thing is how you clean though, so make sure you have the best techniques by following this advice.
What sort of toothpastes should I use with advanced gum disease (periodontitis)?
More advanced gum disease, which isn’t improving despite good cleaning efforts, may require extra ingredients to help the gums heal. You may want to try a toothpaste containing hyaluronic acid or peptides to help the gums heal.
What is the best toothpaste for receding gums?
Receding gums can lead to soreness in the gums and sensitivity from the tooth.
If the gums are sore when brushing try a gentle toothpaste (like those listed above), or perhaps try a non-mint toothpaste or SLS free toothpaste. Mouthwashes may also help if your gums are too sore to brush.
If you are suffering from tooth sensitivity because of receding gums, try specific sensitivity toothpaste.
What is the best toothpaste for bleeding gums?
Bleeding gums are a sign of gum disease. The best toothpaste would be one designed for gingivitis, containing stannous fluoride, sodium bicarbonate, or herbal ingredients.
Does stannous fluoride cause staining?
In some formulations, stannous fluoride can cause staining. In the correct formulation, the staining effect is much less, if at all.
This article has shown the best toothpaste for gum disease among the top ten. It’s fair to say that most of them have the same basic ingredients and work the same way, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, many people like to stick with brands they already know and trust, rather than try out new brands every time they run out of something. This is perfectly fine if a toothpaste doesn’t perform to your standards or it makes your teeth feel worse than before. If you’re in the market for a new toothpaste, don’t be afraid to try one that might be a little different from what you usually go for.