While there’s no denying that a great toothbrush is a must-have, there’s also no denying that most people don’t add in the second most important part – the toothpaste. But while toothpaste can be a game-changer for your brushing routine, there are some individuals who believe that it might not be the best thing for your mouth. Enter tooth powders. Believed to be the predecessor to modern toothpaste, tooth powders are a great addition to your oral care arsenal and offer different types of benefits than your typical pastes.
Our 5 Favorite Tooth Powder
Best Tooth Powder in 2022
1. POWER MINT Tooth Powder
Tooth powder takes all the binders and fillers out of toothpaste and allows you to brush with just what you NEED, reaching enamel and the gum line directly. When you don’t rinse, you’re leaving your oral cavity healthier for LONGER! Unfortunately, almost all oral care products require you to rinse. Our award-winning product uses only food-grade ingredients and is an exclusive NO RINSE formula. Most municipal tap sources are below 7 in pH and when you rinse your mouth out, you’re speeding up the process in which anaerobic bacteria thrive. Our toothpowder is almost a 10 in alkalinity and when you don’t rinse, the product works longer for you.
Our Toothpowder Is Not Just Nontoxic, It’s Edible.
People with really sensitive teeth should use the product 5 times a day as a mouthwash to support remineralization. We have gotten people off of commercial pastes that are “designed” for sensitivity. We do not believe in coating the teeth, but to slowly heal sensitivities the right way. After 1-3 week of doing this, you can start brushing gently with the product more and more, using an ULTRA soft brush. After brushing for 2-3 months you will notice a difference, sometimes a drastic one!
Get Prolonged Remineralizing Benefits With Our Exclusive No Rinse Tooth Powder Formula
You get perfectly polished teeth and incredibly healthy gums with the use of pure essential oils that are proven to be highly therapeutic and useful in oral health as they are a natural anti-inflammatory and naturally anti-septic.
- Remineralizing Tooth Powder- helps remineralize teeth with calcium, strontium, boron, and other trace minerals found in natural salts and calcium carbonate.
- Whitening Tooth Powder- soft polishing effect for whitening teeth without damage.
- Dentist Recommended- uses organic essential oils with intense therapeutic oral care value that create a clean, completely natural taste.
- Lasts Longer Than Toothpaste- our tooth powder packs a punch!
- Natural, Fluoride Free Formula With Xylitol- maintain oral health longer, by not having to rinse the product out, prolonged benefits last throughout the day.
2. The Dirt Gluten & Fluoride Free Tooth Powder
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||5.6 x 5.6 x 5.8 inches|
Toothpowder is an all-natural and fun alternative to toothpaste! Our powder is made with ingredients so safe you could eat them. To use, simply tap a damp toothbrush into a jar of The Dirt and watch it stick to your brush like magic! Then brush as you normally would for healthy, clean teeth – naturally!
Natural Ingredients That Work
Our powders are naturally tasty. We don’t use artificial flavors or xylitol sweetener which is often made from GMO corn and can be toxic to your furry friends. Other powders may be bland and have lots of fillers but each of our ingredients has been chosen to provide your mouth with natural benefits and great taste. And our ingredients are so natural that The Dirt toothpaste is even safe to swallow (read: don’t worry about the kiddos!).
Tough On Gunk, Easy On Teeth
On The Mohs Scale of hardness tooth enamel is a solid 5. The silica found in modern toothpaste is harder than your tooth enamel ranking in at a 7, meaning it’s likely to scratch it! Our bentonite clay base is as gentle as it gets, rating just 1-2 on The Mohs Scale… meaning there’s no risk of scratching even the most sensitive teeth while it works its natural wonder of keeping your teeth clean and bright!
Two Flavors And Three Sizes To Choose From
Whether you choose our Sweet Spice or Super Mint flavor, you get to choose from our chic mini-mason jar – which holds up to a 6 month supply of powder – our plastic tub – which holds up to 3 months’ supply and is great for houses with kids; or our thick glass travel jar which holds 6 weeks of powder and is wonderful for gym bags or the office.
- The Dirt Mineral Tooth Powder: Our vital tooth brushing powder is an authentic and fun alternative to toothpaste! Simply tap a damp toothbrush into a jar of The Dirt and brush normally to reveal clean & white teeth
- Crafted With Essential Ingredients like bentonite clay, baking soda, and essential oils that provide great flavor. Our tooth powders come in three refreshing flavors – Super Mint, Sweet Spice & Cinna Mint
- Gluten Free : Great for people sensitive to corn, soy or gluten. The Dirty tooth powder is fluoride, SLS, paraben, and glycerine free. Use with our tongue scraper and mouthwash for optimal benefits!
- Teeth Brightening Formula: Made with simple ingredients with teeth birghtening and breath freshening properties. All authentic, good-for-you ingredients, and none of the fillers. A great alternative to charcoal toothpaste!
- A Little Goes A Long Way! Choose from 3 different sizes & 3 different flavors and clean your teeth . One large jar comes with up to 6 months of servings.
3. Colgate Tooth Powder 100g tooth powder
|Item Weight||100 Grams|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||5 x 2.2 x 1.5 inches|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
Colgate Toothpowder has the “Super rakshak” formula enriched with calcium & minerals that make your teeth up to two times stronger. Colgate Toothpowder has the amazing power of two ingredients – calcium and mineral for stronger and healthier teeth. Colgate Tooth Powder has been a part of daily oral care for nearly 200 years and it’s not hard to see why. When used as part of a regular dental routine, Colgate tooth powder helps keep teeth and gums stronger. With a refreshing mint flavour, an innovative Colgate formula, and traditional oral care ingredients, Colgate Tooth Powder is gentle on the mouth.
4. REGROW Remineralizing Tooth Powder
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Material Type Free||Toxic Free, Artificial Sweeteners Free, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Free, Triclosan Free|
Are You Looking For A Natural Way To Clean, Heal And Prevent Tooth Decay? Are You Suffering From Sensitive Teeth And Gums? Teeth Are Living Crystalline Structures that are constantly exchanging minerals internally and externally.
We can support the health of our teeth and gums by eating a healthy diet and support its remineralization process by providing the proper nutrients externally, like brushing with REGROW. WHY BRUSH WITH A NAUTRAL TOOTH POWDER?
Glycerin in toothpaste can coat our teeth and prevent the natural remineralization process of our teeth. Not to mention coming in contact with other potentially toxic ingredients in conventional tooth paste, such as triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), Artificial Sweeteners, propylene glycol, flouride, and diethanolamine (DEA).
That’s why brushing with a natural tooth powder is better. WHY REGROW TOOTH POWDER? REGROW is not just another charcoal, clay and baking soda powder with some essential oils. It is part of a revolutionary oral hygienic system to help balance your oral microbiome to strengthen your teeth and gums. REGROW Remineralizing Tooth Powder was formulated to work synergistically with the properties of yogurt.
Together, it can create the proper PH in your mouth to deliver the essential nutrients for teeth and gum remineralization. HOW TO USE REGROW TOOTH POWDER. Simply mix with yogurt and brush. For best results, brush with yogurt first and repeat until teeth feel clean, even along the gumline. Then add REGROW to the yogurt and apply to teeth.
You can either mix in a small container or simply use the provided scoop to add REGROW onto your toothbrush with yogurt to apply to teeth and gums thoroughly. Leave on teeth for best results. The mixture will dissipate naturally in a few minutes with normal saliva flow. Safe to swallow.
- Cleans And Protects – Balances oral flora to inhibit tooth decay and gingivitis.
- REMINERALIZE – Tooth enamel by delivering nourishment to heal and strengthen teeth and gums and may reverse tooth decay.
- Stops Sensitive Teeth And Gums – Reduces gum inflammation and strengthens teeth to stop sensitivity.
- Whiter Brighter Teeth – As teeth are nourished and strengthened by the continual use of REGROW Tooth Powder, teeth will become sustainably whiter naturally.
- For All Ages – Complete revolutionary dental hygentic care for the whole family to clean and nourish teeth and gums.
5. Uncle Harry’s Remineralizing Tooth Powder
|Product Benefits||Whitening,Ph Balancing|
|Item Weight||249 Grams|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
Uncle Harry’s tooth powder helps rebuild tooth enamel and reduces dental sensitivity. It also promotes a healthy pH in your mouth to achieve a better, smoother clean–helping you to floss less often. This natural blend of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus also revitalizes oral flora and aids in fighting stinky breath bacteria.
- Save your teeth and gums with Uncle Harry’s tooth powder. Our concentrated powdered paste encourages healthier tooth enamel by nourishing teeth with calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. It also helps maintain a naturally alkaline pH that is best for oral health and dental hygiene.
- Contains a blend of calcium carbonate and sea salt to lightly polish enamel and gently remove stains from food and beverages. Mustard seed powder gently brightens the surface of the tooth and revitalizes the appearance of gums.
- This remineralizing tooth powder is enhanced with powerful essential oils of peppermint, eucalyptus, clove, wintergreen, and oregano to keep your mouth fresh and optimally pH-balanced all day long.
- To use, simply sprinkle, scoop, or dip into the jar with a wet toothbrush, brush, and rinse. Rinse thoroughly. For best results, first brush with Uncle Harry’s Toothpaste, then follow whitening with Remineralization Powder.
- Uncle Harry’s oral care remedies are proudly SLS free, gluten free, glycerin free, fluoride free, and vegan to meet even the most sensitive and conscious tooth needs. Our 100% natural toothpaste products are also made without synthetic preservatives like foaming agents, colors, artificial flavors, or baking soda.
How to Use Tooth Powder
Toothpowder should be used the same as toothpaste. The only difference is that it needs moisture to be spread over the surface of your teeth.
To use tooth powder, simply wet your toothbrush, then dip the bristles in your tooth powder. Then brush for two minutes and spit the tooth powder into your sink.
Plaque is a sticky film made from bacteria that forms on your teeth every day.
When plaque builds up, it turns into tartar. Plaque is a leading cause of bad breath, cavities, tooth discoloration, tooth decay, and gum disease (gingivitis and periodontitis).
Three scientific studies have shown that tooth powder is equally or more effective at reducing plaque than toothpaste.1, 2, 3 This is likely due to the abrasive nature of tooth powders.
However, another study from 20185 compared traditional oral hygiene methods to toothpaste users. This study showed contrasting evidence to the other studies. It found that traditional methods, including tooth powder, were inferior in plaque control compared to toothpaste.
These mixed results show that more evidence is needed to prove whether tooth powder is as effective as toothpaste at reducing plaque.
When plaque builds up on teeth, it can cause inflammation, pain, and infection in your gums.
This can lead to gingivitis (early gum disease). If gingivitis goes untreated, it can turn to periodontitis (advanced gum disease).
By reducing plaque, tooth powders and toothpaste can help reduce your chances of gingivitis. Current scientific evidence shows that tooth powders may be effective at reducing plaque, and therefore gum disease.1, 2, 3 However, the evidence is varied.4 More evidence is needed to determine whether tooth powder is an effective means of controlling gingivitis.
One study has shown that tooth powder is efficient at removing extrinsic (surface) stains from your teeth.5 This study noted that the whitening effects of the tooth powder were greater than that of the toothpaste. However, the toothpaste was just general toothpaste, not whitening toothpaste.
Tooth powder is likely an effective whitening agent due to its abrasive properties. But again, more research is needed to determine the effectiveness of tooth powder at removing stains from your teeth.
Does Tooth Powder Have any Benefits?
Toothpowder has not been studied as extensively as toothpaste. However, there have been a few studies that have examined the effectiveness of toothpowder. Here’s what the science says.
Frequently Asking Question
Is Tooth Powder Good for Teeth?
Toothpowder has been used as an oral health care product for centuries, if not millennia. Tooth powder may be an effective way to reduce plaque, control gum disease, and whiten teeth. Tooth powder may cause gum bleeding, gum recession, enamel damage, and tooth loss.
Our tooth powders too abrasive?
Toothpowders, in general, are known to be 5 times more abrasive than toothpaste due to the number of abrasives used (95%) and their particle size.
Is tooth powder better than paste?
However, two small studies found that tooth powder is superior to toothpaste when it comes to reducing plaque and whitening external stains. Most tooth powder formulations don’t contain fluoride or any type of cavity-fighting ingredient, though. If cavities are a concern, you may be better off sticking to toothpaste.
Is baking soda safe for teeth?
Baking soda is a mild abrasive. While the American Dental Association (ADA) considers baking soda safe for your enamel and dentin, some researchers have given it a low rating as a teeth whitener because it may not remove stains as effectively as some other products.
How do you use white and fresh tooth powder?
Just wet your toothbrush and dip it into the tooth powder. Gently brush your teeth for two minutes, twice a day. Wash your mouth thoroughly to remove all the residue.
Tooth powder is a great alternative to toothpaste. You won’t have to worry about searching for a place to spit, bad breath, or the stripping of enamel. However, tooth powder should be used in small amounts, as it isn’t studied extensively like toothpaste.