A digital drawing tablet with a screen is an incredible device to make artwork on a screen with a pen-like input digitally. Instead of using pen and paper- many digital artists use tablets, computers, and drawing pads for creating artworks.
Of course, the results will always be digital art, but you can convert it into real-life art with a good graphic design printer.
In this article, we’re going to list some of the best standalone drawing tablets, digital art tablets, drawing tablets with pen, and digital drawing pads, which are top-rated & trending on the market.
(A quick note: Some models are ‘almost’ standalone, meaning that you need a computer to use them, but they have a screen, and you don’t need to sit directly in front of the computer to draw.)
Which one is the right art tablet for you? Let’s find out.
Our Favorite: Best Tablet for Drawing 2022
We spent several hours researching the market and ranking the best tablet for drawing, art-making, and other design work. We prioritized the core features and functionality, pressure sensitivity, and accuracy to ensure that the lines and colors you get from the digital drawing tablets are as accurate as possible. Our expert team realized that a good drawing tablet should also have compact and portable features to practice their artwork anywhere they go anytime.
Best Drawing Tablets ( Ultimate List)
Drawing tablets have become a vital part of the digital art community, with many artists preferring them over the traditional mouse and keyboard. In fact, drawing tablets are so popular with artists because they offer a more natural experience. They can offer a much more intuitive way of drawing and painting than using your mouse, but there are many different types of drawing tablets on the market. This article will be looking at some of the best drawing tablets available today.
1. XP-PEN Artist12 Pro 11.6 Inch– Adjustable viewing angles and large viewing screen provide you with a great drawing experience.
2. GAOMON PD1161 11.6 Inches– Its massive 11.6 inch active drawing area means you have plenty of canvas to work with!
3. Wacom DTK1660K0A Cintiq 16 Drawing Tablet with Screen– You’ll get a smoother workflow and faster results than ever before. Get your hands on this new, cutting edge drawing tablet for digital art.
4. HUION KAMVAS Pro 16 Graphics Drawing Tablet– Experience the best drawing experience on a digital tablet. A sense of precision and control in your hands – similar to traditional art.
5. XP-PEN Artist 22 2nd Drawing Tablet with Screen– Enjoy the richness of different pen brushes and create beautiful drawings and designs with this large drawing tablet with screen.
Note: Drawing tablet with screen is an excellent tool to create artworks. It comes with a large screen where you can view your work in progress, and the pen allows you to draw naturally just like using a pencil or pen on paper. A touch-sensitive surface lets you zoom in on sections of your work without having to scroll around the entire canvas. This allows artists to focus on specific areas of their artwork without losing track of what’s going on elsewhere in the picture.
1. HUION Inspiroy H1060P Graphics Drawing Tablet– 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity, this tablet offers incredible sensitivity and accuracy.
2. VEIKK A50 Graphic Tablet– With new and innovative pen tablet functions, professional artists can do more detailed art that reduces single point human error.
3. One by Wacom Student Drawing Tablet– Incredible precision drawing, taking your drawing experience to the next level! Exquisite specially designed for art students.
4. UGEE M708 Drawing Tablet– This allows you to draw, sketch and paint on a surface that offers natural feel, just like paper.
5. XP-Pen Deco 01 V2 Drawing Tablet– Experience the feeling of traditional brush painting by hand with a digital tablet that offers an authentic user experience.
Note: Drawing tablet without screens is one of the most popular devices for artists and designers who want to create digital drawings and paintings. This type of equipment does not have a monitor, and it can be connected to your computer via USB cable or wireless connection. Drawing tablets without screens are cheaper than other types of drawing tablets.
1. Simbans PicassoTab 10 Inch Portable Standalone Drawing Tablet– The stylish design and build of this device make it an amazing, lightweight, and alternative to a computer.
2. Frunsi Standalone Drawing Tablet– This product is introduced as a compact and high-end standalone digital drawing tablet to take on the go.
3. Apple 12.9-inch iPad Pro– It makes it possible for you to use your imagination, take on challenges and enhance your creativity.
4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite 10.4″– Enjoy easy note taking, editing, and drawing or simply sketching with this Samsung device.
5. Microsoft Surface Pro 8-13″ Touchscreen– It is fast, portable, and powerful. You can get drawing work done anywhere. Save time, and be more productive!
Note: There are many advantages of using a standalone drawing tablet over laptops when it comes to creating artwork. Standalone drawing tablets are easy to use because all you need is – power on, load up your favorite art program, and start creating some fantastic graphic drawings!
1. XP-PEN Artist24 Drawing Tablet with Screen– Extremely reliable graphics tablet and pen display drawing/illustration monitor, outstanding compatible software list.
2. Wacom DTK2420K0 Cintiq Pro 24– Experience the perfect balance of portability and power in our most affordable artist series pen display tablet yet!
3. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Creative Pen and Touch Display– A pen tablet like no other, with 4K resolution and a larger display, allowing you to take control of your workspace and make the most of your workflow.
4. GAOMON PD2200-21.5 Inch– The screen is full lamination that increases the brightness and decreases the glare, with an amazing level of detail and accuracy.
5. HUION Kamvas Pro 24 4K UHD Graphics Drawing Tablet– With the full laminated screen and anti glare glass, working in poorly lit environments is no problem and colors are truer than ever.
Note: A digital drawing tablet is a computer accessory that allows you to draw directly on the screen with a stylus. You can use your hand to draw as you would with a pencil or pen, but you don’t have to worry about smudging your work or losing it. You can also use the pen to control the cursor on the screen. This option gives you more precision than using a mouse.
1. XP-PEN Artist12 11.6 Inch FHD– It allows you to take pleasure in a rich FHD and powerful digital experience with the pen.
2. HUION Kamvas 13 Android Support Graphics Drawing Tablet– You can create beautiful artworks with this drawing tablet and pen with no hassles and gain full support for your creative process.
3. UGEE M708 Graphics Drawing Tablet– Any level of artists can develop creative ideas smoothly in this graphics tablet, and the stylus pen is very comfortable to hold.
4. GAOMON M10K2018 10 x 6.25 inch Tablet– 8192 level pressure sensitivity provides natural texture in drawing and a greater feeling of control that fits your digital drawing style.
5. Artisul D16 15.6 Inch Drawing Tablet with Pen– It gives you ultimate control without compromising the comfort of hand-drawn artwork itself.
Note: Drawing tablet with pen is a new generation of input devices used in both digital and analog drawing. With the help of these devices, you can draw on the screen by using a special pen. The drawing tablet acts as a sheet of paper, and the pen works like a pen. It is used by artists, graphic designers, and architects for various purposes.
1. Wacom Intuos Graphics Drawing Tablet– Versatile pen tablet with intuitive pen on screen interface, cheap in price with excellent quality.
2. XP-Pen G430S OSU Drawing Tablet– With a unique ultra thin design and smooth drawing experience, this drawing tablet is the best at this price point.
3. HUION 420 OSU Tablet– HUION graphics drawing pen tablet provides a physical sensation that you can use to express your creativity naturally!
4. GAOMON S620 6.5 x 4 Inches Graphics Tablet– It facilitates a natural sense of drawing capability, which allows it to perform accurately.
5. HUION Inspiroy H430P OSU– Adopting the latest and best technologies, the HUION Inspiroy H430P art pen is crafted to give you a superior touch experience.
Note: Drawing tablets are also quite affordable compared to other graphics tablets. If you’re just getting started with digital art and don’t want to spend too much money, then going for a cheap drawing tablet is a good idea. There are many drawing tablet options out there, but not all of them will be right for your needs. If you’re looking for a cheap drawing tablet with all the features you need, this list above should help you find one that fits your budget.
1. HUION HS64 Graphics Drawing Tablet– In particular, the drawing process becomes much more comfortable and easy, which is suitable for beginners or people who need to use it for a long time.
2. XP-PEN StarG640 Drawing Tablet– It replaces the expensive old drawing pads without compromising quality for beginners.
3. GAOMON M10K PRO 10 x 6.25 Inches– With the combination of pen and pressure sensitivity, it brings an all new experience in drawing and designing.
4. Wacom One Drawing Tablet with Screen– The Wacom One is a powerful and regular-cost drawing tablet, ideal for both beginners and experts as well.
5. UGEE Computer Graphics Drawing Tablet– It’s compatible with both Mac and PC, letting you choose the method that best suits your style.
Note: The fact that it’s digital means that the drawing can be stored and then printed or saved as an image file. Drawing tablets are definitely the best way to go for beginner artists. They allow you to draw with a pen on a screen as if you were using paper and pencil. You can get a very realistic feel from drawing tablets and they are also very accurate.
Top 10 Best Drawing Tablets Reviews- 2022
1. Simbans Picasso Tab- Tablets with Stylus for Drawing
Reasons to Buy
- Perfect for casual artists and budget-minded shoppers
- Comes pre-installed app, so you can start creating beautiful artworks right away
- High power MediaTek Quad-core processor
Reasons to Avoid
- Not food for serious artists
- Low resolution Camera; only 5 and 2 megapixels front & back camera
- Pressure sensitivity is low
Boasting an art tablet with a pen, a large, clear screen and a powerful CPU that can run whatever sort of software you fancy installing on this thing, this Simbans drawing tablet with a pen can be a great solution for a person in need of a cheap drawing tablet with a screen.
Thanks to its excellent Wi-Fi connectivity, this tablet can be used to watch movies, play games, or even surf the Internet.
As long as you’re within reach of a Wi-Fi signal, you’ll have no problems with using this thing whichever way you like.
Don’t need any computer– Some electronic drawing pads we have listed here need a computer to operate the screen. But this is the exclusive drawing tablet that Doesn’t need a computer. That means you can use it anywhere in the home and everywhere while traveling. The only thing you need is a Wi-Fi connection.
Price– PicassoTab is the perfect tablet for students and artists on a budget.
Wi-Fi connectivity – As we said above, this model can be easily linked to the Internet means that you can use it as an entertainment system and not only as a drawing tablet.
Also, by using the micro HDMI port this thing comes with, you can connect it to your TV system and watch movies on the tablet.
Powerful CPU – … enables this device to run multiple applications simultaneously without any glitches or slow performance.
The motor that runs this device is a Media-Tek Quad-Core processor, which is powerful enough to enable you to run demanding software.
Also, the HD screen this model comes with is supported by this powerful processor to make your drawings clear and to make the drawing process itself smooth and glitch-free.
Bonus items – Other than the powerful processor and a high-res screen, this Picasso Tab gadget also comes with a special case, a screen protector, as well as a drawing glove, and a universal power adapter.
- Great for drawing or taking notes
- 32GB of disk space
- Quad-core processor
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- HDMI port (for connecting this device with your TV set)
- Screen protective layer
- Drawing glove included in the package
- Comes with a special case
- Some users reported problems with the charger
2. Wacom PTH660 Intuos Pro- Best Overall
Why We Choose This?
- This electronic drawing pad was Designed with professional artists in mind
- Wacom’s renowned Pro Pen 2 technology for superior drawing and sketching accuracy
- Optimized for use with Mac or PC
- Customizable ExpressKeys feature that gives you quick access to your favorite shortcuts, so you can work more efficiently
Are you looking for a new way to be creative? Perhaps you should consider investing in a sketch tablet. The Wacom Intuos Pro digital art tablet is the upgraded version of their previous Wacom Intuos. Wacom Intuos Pro is best suited to expert artists who regularly want to utilize this for sketching, drawing, and painting. It offers better pressure sensitivity and accuracy than the non-pro version.
|Product||Wacom Intuos Pro||Wacom Intuos|
|Active Area||Small: 6.3″ x 3.9″|
Medium: 8.7” x 5.8”
Large: 12.1” x 8.4”
|Small: 6.0″ x 3.7″|
Medium: 8.5″ x 5.3”
|Item Weight||Small: 0.99 lbs|
Medium: 1.54 lbs
Large: 2.86 lbs
Medium: 0.9 lbs
|Express Keys||6 to 8||4|
|Pen Accuracy||Pro Pen 2||Lack insensitivity|
|Pressure sensitivity||8,192 levels||4096 Levels|
|Check Intuos Pro||Check Intuos|
The Wacom PTH660 Intuos Pro is the best graphics tablet for taking your work to the next level. With Wacom’s Pro Pen 2 technology, this device gives you precision and control so you can create impressive images and illustrations. Thanks to its ergonomic design, you can use it comfortably for hours on end.
Creativity is about making your ideas a reality. And for that, you need the right tools. With Wacom’s Intuos Pro drawing tablet, you’ll have everything you need to turn your imagination into reality. This slim and stylish tablet is perfect for anyone with a serious creative passion. It has an active area of (7.8″ x 6.3″, so you’ll have plenty of space to work on your latest masterpiece. Plus, there’s no parallax distortion, so your lines and curves are always accurate.
3. Wacom Cintiq 16- Best Drawing Tablet with Screen
Coming from one of the most well-recognized brands in the world of best standalone drawing tablets, this Wacom model looks simple, is simple to use, but is packed with all sorts of useful features.
Even though on the surface this device looks simple enough, thanks to its smart software and advanced hardware, you can easily set the pressure sensitivity on this model, as well as fine-tune other parameters to enhance your drawing experience.
8,192 pressure levels – … allow you to customize the pressure sensitivity of this device so that drawing on it doesn’t feel any different from drawing on paper with a pencil.
Also, this model comes with a feature called tilt recognition so that you can make a line of different thicknesses easily and naturally.
HD screen – When it comes to the clarity of the images you’re drawing and looking at while using this tablet, you can rest assured that you will be able to easily draw and edit even the tiniest of lines.
Thanks to a high-definition screen this model comes with and the resolution of 1920×1080 pixels, even the minutest detail will be visible and easily workable-with able.
Anti-glare display – One of the problems people have with screens, in general, would certainly be that they can throw an uncomfortable glare back at you. (Not literally, of course, but because of the surface.)
With this model, this glare won’t be a problem because the folks at Wacom covered the display of this unit with a special anti-glare coating.
- Scratch-resistant display
- Anti-glare screen coating (for preventing annoying light reflection)
- High-pressure sensitivity
- HDMI connectivity
- 1920×1080 HD screen
- Compatible with a variety of drawing programs (Adobe suite, Krita, and many others)
- Fairly expensive
4. Wacom – One Digital Drawing Tablet with Screen
Another best drawing tablet that comes on the list is Wacom One Drawing Tablet with Screen.
The folks at Wacom are marketing this product as a portable drawing tablet and a gadget that you can use to take notes during an online conference, for example.
Depending on what software you install, you can use it to edit documents, create sketches, or digital art.
HD display – Even though this device is better suited for beginners due to its simplicity and a smaller screen than the cousin we talked about above, this model still comes with a display that offers you HD quality.
This means that you can still create amazing art using this thing, take notes, and do whatever you want in high definition.
No-batteries pen – When it comes to the way the pen interacts with the screen – it all comes down to pressure sensitivity.
The result is that the pen isn’t ‘fat’ or robust, as there is no need for batteries.
For this reason, using this pen feels like using any other regular pen or pencil, so you don’t have to worry about a bad learning curve when handling the pen is in question.
A variety of software options – Whether it’s Photoshop, Lightroom, Adobe Fresco, or some other sort of drawing, editing, or note-taking program, you can rest assured that this tablet will support it.
As long as you live somewhere in the Americas, that is. (Other regions can still use these, but you need to pay the full license price before you can do so.)
- Can be used for drawing and editing documents
- A perfect tool for web conferences
- A pen can be used as a normal pen with no batteries required
- Can be used to edit photos and videos
- Compatible with Mac, PC, and Android
- Best suited for beginners, so advanced users may not like it as much
5. VEIKK VK1200- Drawing Tablets that Don’t Need a Computer
A simple design, a large screen, and visible shortcut keys to the side of the screen are the first things you will notice about this art tablet with a pen.
If you venture to turn it on, you find many other interesting features, too.
For example, there’s the fact that this model offers you 8192 pressure points, which means even the smallest of your pen movements will go smoothly and without any glitches.
Laminated screen – As we said above, possibly the first thing you will notice about this model would be its smooth screen.
This is thanks to the special laminated coating that the folks at VEIKK decided to add for the smoothness of the pen movements while you’re drawing.
Also, there’s the anti-glare coating, which is there to break any annoying glare that could come off of the screen in a well-lit environment.
Customizable Shortcuts – If you take a look at this model, you will see that there are six keys to the left side of the screen.
These keys can be customized to serve any purpose you want to help you make your drawing process more efficient and enjoyable.
For example, you can set them to change the thickness of the pen, undo the last line, or save your file. (The list of options goes on, but you get the point.)
Accessories – Buying this model means forgetting about having headaches over buying new pens and nibs online.
The folks at VIEKK added another extra pen to this deal, as well as 28 pen nibs, so you can rest assured you won’t run out of them any time soon.
The accessories that come with this model include an artist’s glove and a cleaning cloth.
- Comes with two pens (battery-free design)
- 28 extra pen nibs
- Tilt function for a better feel while drawing
- 6 shortcut buttons you can customize
- Laminated screen with anti-glare protection
- Some users reported that setting up this thing can be a tad difficult for beginners
6. Parblo Coast10- Drawing Tablet with Pen
An ergonomic design paired up with a large screen and a battery-less pen make this Parblo contraption an excellent choice for anyone interested in getting one of the best drawing tablets that don’t need a computer.
While this model can be connected to a computer, you can also use it as a drawing tablet without a computer.
This means that, as long as you can find a place where you can charge up its batteries, you can use this model wherever you want!
Here are some of its most prominent features:
Comfortable viewing angle – The great thing about this contraption is that it comes with two little supporting ‘legs’ you can use to tilt the entire tablet.
This way, you can draw at a more comfortable angle and view and edit what you’ve created easily without having to sit uncomfortably while doing so.
App compatibility – When it comes to the apps you can use with this model, the list goes on and on.
For example, some supported applications and programs include Corel Painter, Illustrator, 3D Max, Manga Studio, and many others.
Thanks to this wide variety of options you can choose from, you can rest assured that you will find a program that would work well for you.
2048 Pen Pressure Levels – Boasting a rather large number of 2048 pen pressure levels, this tablet can be a great option for an artist who demands the best when it comes to pen control while drawing.
You can make the perfect line every time, thanks to this high sensitivity. (Of course, you might need to try a couple of times first.)
- Compatible with a variety of applications
- Ergonomic design
- 2048 pressure levels for great pen sensitivity
- Works on Windows and Mac
- No-battery pen
- The surface is made out of tempered glass
- Fairly pricey
7. HUION KAMVAS Pro 16- Large Drawing Tablet
Coming from Huion, one of the most well-known companies manufacturing drawing tablets, this model contains all sorts of interesting features that can be useful for pros and complete rookies alike.
One of the strongest features of this model would certainly be its large 15,6-inch screen.
The screen itself is laminated, and it also comes with a special anti-glare coating.
Thanks to this feature, you don’t need to worry about experiencing excessive fatigue when drawing on this tablet.
HD screen – Perhaps one of the most important features of this model would be its HD-quality screen.
Other than the excellent anti-glare coating this screen comes with, the HD quality helps you draw clearer, more precise lines, which will make all the difference when it comes to producing unique art.
Battery-less pen – Usually, a slight problem with drawing tablets can be the thickness of the pen.
This is because many manufacturers make tablet pens that require batteries to run.
This won’t be a problem with this model, as the pen that comes with the tablet doesn’t need a pen to work.
Thanks to this feature, the pen size is the same as that of a regular drawing pen, so they feel it will be roughly the same.
Customized quick-access keys – Once you get in the ‘zone’ of working with this tablet, it’s useful to be able to access various settings and tools quickly while drawing.
The folks at Huion anticipated this, so they built in a special set of 6 custom buttons that you can use to access various options quickly.
For example, zooming, changing the brush, or adjusting the brush size are some features that you can count on.
- Anti-glare drawing surface
- HD quality of the screen
- 6 custom express keys
- Comfortable pen grip
- The pen doesn’t require a battery
- This model only comes with a US power adapter
8. Wacom DTHW1320H – Mobile Drawing Tablet
As the name of this product suggests itself, what you get if you decide to buy this tablet would be a mobile studio, with the qualities of a tool built for professional artists.
Of course, anyone can use it – from beginners to professionals.
Some of the most important features of this model include an almost completely lag-free pen, so you can use it to make precise lines in real-time.
Advanced computing and processor – To run smoothly, a drawing tablet needs to have a responsive screen and more importantly – a strong processor.
If the software you’re using is advanced and you’re also using special program features, this will require many resources.
This model’s powerful processor will enable you to use the latest software and its most advanced features without glitches or bugs.
Windows 10 operating system – If you’re worried that it may take a long time for you to figure out how to use this thing, you can rest assured that you will be able to use it easily from day one.
This is because the operating system uses Windows 10, which you are probably already familiar with.
Supports a variety of applications – The great thing about this Wacom model is that it doesn’t only allow you to sketch and draw.
It can also make complex 3D models and various CAD programs, such as Auto CAD.
This model has more than enough computing power to support some of the most resource-hungry features of the advanced programs mentioned above.
- Comes with a Windows 10 OS
- Lightweight, ergonomic pen
- Excellent pressure sensitivity and accuracy
- Can create 3D and 2D art and projects
- 25ms response time
- Comes with a built-in camera
- More suitable for professional users
9. XP-Pen Deco01 V2 Digital Graphics Drawing Pen
Reason to Buy
- 10 x 6.25-inch working area, which is large enough for drawing art
- Type-C input design makes it easy to plug in and out
- 8mm thickness makes it comfortable to hold for long periods of time
- 60 degrees of tilt provides more control over lines and curves
- Battery-free stylus
XP-Pen Deco01 V2 Digital Graphics Drawing Pen is perfect for artists who want to get started in digital art. This powerful device comes with a massive 10 x 6.25-inch working area, so you’ll have plenty of space to create or get stuff done.
With its intuitive controls, the Deco01 is perfect for both beginners and experienced artists alike. Plus, its slim design makes it easy to take with you wherever you go. So if you’re looking for an affordable way to enter the world of digital art, the XP-Pen Deco01 is the perfect pen for you!
High-tech ICs allow the lines to flow more smoothly and perform better than ever before. In addition, it is suitable for both right- and left-handed users.
A battery-free stylus with 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity allows for fluid, natural drawing, and painting. With a tilt sensor of 60 degrees, you can create even more realistic strokes and achieve incredible levels of detail. Because it is ergonomically designed, the XP-Pen Deco01 V2 is very comfortable to use for hours on end.
10. HUION KAMVAS 16 Graphics Drawing Tablet with Full-Laminated Screen
Reason to Buy
- You will be able to see every detail on the full-laminated screen thanks to its vibrant colors and 178-degree viewing angle.
- 5080 LPI resolution provides crystal-clear images.
- The color gamut is 120% sRGB, the viewing angle is 178°, and the resolution is 5080 LPI.
- 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity, so you can create detailed and lifelike drawings with ease.
- With its 12mm thickness and 1.26kg weight, it’s easy to carry with you wherever you go.
The Huion KAMVAS 16 Graphics Drawing Tablet with Full-Laminated Screen is the latest 2021 addition to their quality tablet line-up. Whether you’re on the road traveling or at home, this drawing tablet’s ultra-thin design makes it easy to take it anywhere. Because of its lightweight design and compact size, the device can be used anywhere. Huion’s latest release is also compatible with MacOS and Windows, so switching between operating systems doesn’t pose a problem. With its full laminated screen, users can enjoy vibrant, true-to-life colors while still maintaining excellent clarity.
This tablet lets you work in vivid detail, with resolutions of up to 5080 LPI. Plus, 120% sRGB and 178°viewing angles give your artwork a realistic look. Plus, the 3-in-1 cable keeps your work area tidy and organized.
Benefits of Digital Drawing Tablet
Digital drawing tablets are becoming more and more popular in the art world. This is because they offer a new way to create art on the go, as well as some added benefits that you can’t get with traditional methods of drawing. With good drawing tablets, you can get a lot of advantages in your creative work.
- No Need to Carry Paper & Pencil– Digital Drawing Tablets offer an easy way to take your creativity on the go so you don’t have to lug around heavy supplies like paper and pencils.
- Erase Mistake Easily– While using these tools you could erase a drawing mistake easily with a flick of a finger. As you are on a programmed device, you can erase better, color better and etc.
- Quick Result– Digital art tablet enables artists to draw directly on their device, showing progress without erasing or restarting.
- Archiving: Save your sketches to a cloud-sharing site so you’ll never lose them. Everything is created transparently and can be backed up forever.
- Sharing– Now, it is easier than ever before to share a work in progress for review and comment. Perhaps you want to share your work with your audience on social media. Easy peasy.
Best Tablet for Drawing- Buyer’s Guide
Best digital art tablets should have a high level of pressure sensitivity to work. Pressure or screen sensitivity is the ability of a digital device (such as an iPad) to recognize when you press on its surface. With the Pressure Sensitivity of Tablet, you can easily and quickly scroll through webpages, emails, and documents; zoom in and out, and create beautiful artwork with the greatest of ease. The more pressure sensitivity level a device has, the more control you will have in your design.
Pens and pencils might be more traditional tools, but when it comes to creating art on a screen, there’s nothing quite like the precision and control of a stylus. Whether you’re into drawing or painting, these tips will help you get the most out of your stylus!
The disk size of a standalone drawing tablet determines how much stuff you can save on it before needing to transfer it to a computer.
The more disk space one of these gadgets has, the more drawings you can save on it.
Since even the most complex 2D digital art doesn’t take up more than a couple of megabytes of space, a standalone drawing tablet can ‘house’ many files without any problem.
Typically, many mid-price range models come with disks of 64 GB, but you easily can find models that give you 128 GB, or more, too.
As some of the models we described above aren’t stand alone drawing tablets you can use without a computer, connectivity is an important factor to consider.
Of course, even if a model is a standalone one, you would still need to connect it to a computer sometimes.
Typically, the connectivity options you have to work with include HDMI cables, as well as Wi-Fi.
Another common option for charging and connecting to a computer would be a USB.
To use a standalone tablet (or one that needs a computer), you must install some drawing software.
This is where the compatibility comes into play with these tablets.
The more compatible a tablet is with various programs, the more options you have to choose from for different drawing and coloring software you can use.
For example, many models support Adobe Photoshop and other similar Adobe programs. Still, other programs such as the Corel line of programs and CAD programs are commonly supported by various standalone drawing tablet brands.
Type of Pen
When it comes to the drawing itself, the type of pen you’re using is quite important if you’re using a drawing tablet or a graphic tablet.
There are two types of these pens – those that need a battery and those that don’t.
For reasons of comfortability, it’s probably better if you use a pen that doesn’t need a battery because it will feel more like a regular pen than a thick one with a battery in it.
The models that feature special shortcut keys can be an excellent choice for using these gadgets.
The reason behind this is that, while drawing, you can use these keys to erase the last line, quick-save your drawing, change the size of the brush, and so on.
Of course, it’s possible to use a tablet that doesn’t come with these keys rather comfortable, but if you’re a professional artist and you draw daily, having these keys can make your life a little bit easier.
How to Use a Drawing Tablet for Beginners
Fix the Screen Resolution
Use the zoom in and out function to set the size of the drawing so that you find it comfortable to draw lines.
Some artists like drawing at a smaller scale, while some like to use their whole forearm or arm to make large lines.
Depending on your preferred technique, you can use the various resizing settings your tablet comes with to make the drawing experience more enjoyable.
Consider Buying an Overlay Sheet
In case you can’t get used to the smoothness of the drawing surface on your tablet, you have the option of buying special overlay sheets that change their texture.
Usually, these sheets give you a slightly rougher texture reminiscent of real paper, so drawing on them can be a fair deal easier for someone who’s used to drawing on paper – especially thicker, rougher types of paper.
Adjust Pen Pressure
The pen pressure sensitivity represents the most important parameter for a drawing tablet.
It can either make or break a drawing tablet.
Assuming your drawing tablet has a decent pressure sensitivity value, you will be able to change how much pressure you need to apply while drawing with your pen.
Again, this is a matter of personal preference, so rather than adjusting your drawing style, you can set the pressure sensitivity parameters so that you can draw the way you are used to with pen and paper.
How Do Drawing Tablets Work?
Pen Touches Surface
Drawing tablets have special screens that are not too dissimilar from the touchscreens we have on our phones.
Of course, the screens on drawing tablets are way more pressure-sensitive than those on phones.
That said, the way this technology function is pretty much the same as with phones – you press a certain part of the screen, representing some input in the program you’re using.
For example, you can hit ‘Save’ using this touch screen, draw lines, fill in colors, and so on.
The Image Can Be Seen on the Screen
Unlike drawing tablets that need a computer, some of the best drawing tablets don’t need a computer to have a screen where you can directly see the products of your labor.
So, instead of drawing on a tablet and looking at a computer screen, you can look at a screen – as you’re drawing on it.
The great thing about this is that there is no learning curve, as anyone who’s drawn with a pen and paper can learn how to use this fairly quickly.
Edit and Otherwise Change the Result on Your Computer
Even though many modern-day standalone tablets don’t require a computer to create awesome digital art, you may still need one for doing some extra work down the road.
After you’ve finished with your drawing, you can use a computer to further edit the finished piece of art and otherwise apply various changes to it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Best Standalone Drawing Tablet That Doesn’t Need a Computer?
Some of the best drawing tablets that don’t need a computer nowadays would be models from Wacom, Apple, Simbans, Samsung, and others.
Of course, since drawing tablets are becoming more and more popular nowadays, many new brands you can look into, such as Huion or Veikk.
2. Can You Use a Wacom Tablet without a Computer?
Wacom is one of the leading global manufacturers of drawing tablets, making models that can be used only with a computer and standalone ones.
For example, one of their best standalone models would be Wacom Mobile Studio Pro (featured on the product list above).
3. Is Wacom Better Than Huion?
While both brands have their strengths, the consensus among users is that Huion is a less expensive alternative to Wacom.
There are some pretty impressive Huion models nowadays, but Wacom still makes more durable and technologically more advanced models.
4. Can I Use a Regular Tablet as a Drawing Tablet?
Yes, you can.
Since regular tablets all have touchscreens, you can use them as drawing tablets, but you will be limited when it comes to the precision of the drawing and the options you have to work with.
Drawing tablets that are specifically built to make digital art have way more options, and their screens are made to have more pressure sensitivity points than regular tablets.
5. What is the Cheapest Standalone Drawing Tablet?
Companies such as Wacom or Simbans can be great places to start looking for models when it comes to the budget-friendliness of standalone drawing tablets.
Of course, there are models such as Apple iPad Mini, which are pretty inexpensive.
Ultimately, you have to look into what features you want your drawing tablet to find the cheapest solution.
6. Should I get a drawing tablet?
If you’re a digital artist, you may be wondering if you should get a drawing tablet. In this post, we’ll explore the pros and cons of drawing tablets and help you decide if one is right for you. Drawing tablets offer many advantages over traditional methods of drawing, such as increased accuracy and decreased hand fatigue. However, they can also be expensive, so it’s important to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision. In the end, only you can decide if a drawing tablet is right for you.
Owning the best standalone drawing tablets that you can use without a computer can be a great way to enable yourself to draw wherever you are.
Whether you like to use Photoshop, MediBang, Citra, or some other drawing program, having a solid machine at your disposal that can make this software run like clockwork is of great importance.
We hope you found this article helpful, and we wish you plenty of success with your artistic pursuits.