A high-quality drywall primer will help seal your drywall so paint adheres to the surface easily and smoothly, improving the appearance of the paint job. Primer can also fill small holes and imperfections in the drywall, which minimizes the amount of paint necessary to complete a particular project. However, not all primers are created equal; some better than others. To find out more about this important aspect of home projects and renovations, follow along as we explore the ins and outs of drywall primers and take a look at our favorite dried liner primers to seal your surfaces for painting.
Here are the best primers for new drywall on the market.
How To Apply Drywall Primer
When installing new drywall, you don’t have to use the most expensive primer. New walls should be free of stains and odors, and any holes or cracks should be patched. If you are remodeling and there are stains or damage to the walls, you will need to apply a drywall primer with a stain-blocking function.
The first stage in the preparation process before painting is a drywall inspection. Keep an eye out for any holes or cracks in the walls. These holes must be filled with drywall compound, and the wall must then be sanded with a pole sander, to produce an even and smooth surface.
When you’re done, be sure to carefully sweep away as much dust as you can. After the dust has been eliminated, wipe off the wall with a dry, clean towel. Instead of a cloth, you might alternatively use a Swiffer Sweeper to finish the task. After that, you can use it for other purposes around the house. If you don’t gather all the dust, don’t worry about it.
Tips on How to Use Drywall Primers
You’re done with the drywall once you’ve finished taping and sanding the surface. The next step is to give your drywall a lovely finish. We’ve compiled a collection of useful pointers and techniques to assist you to accomplish this:
- It is essential to make a plan. Any imperfections or holes must be filled to create the smoothest surface possible.
- After sanding, avoid wiping off the dust with a wet towel. The mud can suffer as a result of this.
- High-quality tools are advised, as well as paint rollers free of lint.
- Make sure to prepare the surface before painting the walls.
- A sanding pole and paper with a 220-grit rating can be used to sand drywall.
- If you intend to paint over an existing color, a tinted primer is the best option.
- Always work in well-lit settings where you can monitor your development.
- Use a drop cloth to shield any nearby furniture or rugs from harm.
- To improve the airflow, scatter a few fans throughout the space. It’s ideal to leave all of the windows open while you’re working.
Editor’s Pick-Primer For New Drywall
Best Primer For New Drywall Reviews In 2022
1. Rust-Oleum 286258 Primer, 31.5 Fl Oz
Rust-Oleum 286258 Primer, 31.5 Fl Oz (Pack of 1), Gray
- Water-based formula seals uniformly and will stick to surface without sanding
- Dries to the touch in just 30 minutes, ready to recoat in 1 hour and covers up to 100 sq. ft.
- Gray color of primer works great under vibrant, vivid colors saving time and money by improving hide and coverage of deep topcoats
- Interior/Exterior use on new or previously painted drywall, concrete, wood, masonry, metal and glossy or difficult surfaces
- Has excellent stain blocking resistance and can be used over any oil or latex topcoat
Rust-Oleum Primer is a 100 percent acrylic, fast-drying, exterior-grade primer that seals porous surfaces for improved adhesion. It can be used on new or previously painted drywall, concrete, wood, masonry, metal, and glossy or difficult surfaces. It is also ideal for interior surfaces like doors and windows.
Smooth, Durable Finish
Rust-Oleum Leaf Guard Clear Spray is an easy way to seal and finish your metal, wood, or stucco surfaces. This spray leaves a smooth, durable finish that’s ready to paint in just 1 application. It dries to the touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated after 1 hour. Its water-based formula allows you to easily wipe away any mistakes and clean up equipment before it dries, so you can be ready for your next project.
Self-etching Primer Is Formulated
Priming new or previously painted surfaces is one of the most important steps in your painting projects. Rust-Oleum 286258 Self-Etching Primer is formulated to quickly cover and seal porous surfaces with no need for sanding or scraping. Its non-yellowing formula can be used to prepare walls, wood, and other surfaces for the application of any oil or latex enamel paint.
2. INSL-X SXA11009A-04 Stix Acrylic Waterborne Bonding Primer
INSL-X SXA11009A-04 Stix Acrylic Waterborne Bonding Primer, 1 Quart, White
- Premium-quality, acrylic-urethane bonding primer-sealer with unparalleled adhesion to the most challenging surfaces, including glossy tile, PVC, vinyl, plastic, glass, glazed block, glossy paint, pre-coated siding, fiberglass, and galvanized metals.
- Before painting, review the INSL-X STIX label for proper preparation and application tips.
- Bonds to "hard-to-coat" surfaces and can be top coated with almost any product.
- Fully cures in temperatures as low as 35 °F.
- 75 - 100 square foot coverage for interior or exterior use
Stix Acrylic Waterborne Bonding Primer is a premium-quality acrylic-urethane bonding primer. Our acrylic sealers feature unparalleled adhesion to the most challenging surfaces, including glossy tile, PVC and vinyl, plastic, glass, glazed block, and gloss paint. This premium-grade coating product provides excellent color retention in harsh exterior environments.
Coat To Clean Surfaces
This bonding primer for drywall, plaster, ceiling, acoustical tile, wood trim, and doors can also be used to bond Formica, ceramic tiles, and glossy surfaces. Just apply a thin coat to clean surfaces, then allow it to dry overnight before painting.
Preparation Of Previously
Stix Acrylic Waterborne Bonding Primer is an excellent product for the preparation of previously painted surfaces, and it bonds to “hard-to-coat” surfaces and can be top-coated with almost any product. It fully cures in temperatures as low as 35 °F and has a 75 – 100 square foot coverage rate for interior or exterior use.
3. KILZ Adhesion Primer, Interior/Exterior, 1 Gallon
KILZ Adhesion Primer, Interior/Exterior, 1 Gallon
- A good bonding primer is essential to ensure that topcoats adhere to tough-to-paint surfaces. High adhesion primer increases painting possibilities by bonding to a wide range of surfaces. Use on properly prepared surfaces free of dust, grease, chalk, rust and peeling paint. Mix well before using. Apply with brush, roller, or spray.
- Bonds to tough-to-paint surfaces including Kynar, PVC, Formica, vinyl, glass, tile, glazed brick, chalky paints, glossy finishes, fiberglass and metals. Topcoat with either latex or oil-based paint.
- This is a 1-gallon can of KILZ Adhesion High-Bonding Interior/Exterior water-based Primer in white. Covers approximately 300 square feet per gallon. KILZ has been making premium primers and paints for 40 years. KILZ was named Paint Brand of the Year in 2015 in the Harris Poll EquiTrend Rankings.
- Use on most interior and exterior surfaces where a secure bond is critical. This problem solving primer can be used under epoxies, lacquers, and products containing Xylene or other solvents. KILZ Adhesion dries to touch within 30 minutes and ready to recoat in an hour.
- KILZ Adhesion is a unique latex primer developed to bond securely on slick surfaces where a traditional water or oil-base primer will not adhere. Viscosity - 93 - 100 KU. Roller - Smooth Surface - 3/8 - 1/2 inch nap.Roller - Porous Surface - 1/2 - 3/4 inch nap. Spray Pressure - 2,500 - 3,200. Spray Tip -.015 - .021 inches
KILZ Adhesion Primer is the ideal primer for any tough-to-paint surface. High adhesion primer increases painting possibilities by bonding to a wide range of surfaces. Use on properly prepared surfaces free of dust, grease, chalk, rust, and peeling paint. Mix well before using. Apply with brush, roller, or spray.”
KILZ Adhesion Primer is a latex primer designed to adhere securely on slick surfaces where traditional water or oil-based primer will not adhere. Viscosity – 93 – 100 KU, Roller: Smooth Surface – 3/8 – 1/2 inch nap; Rollers: Porous Surface – 1/2 – 3/4 inch nap. Spray Pressure: 2,500 – 3,200 psi, Spray Tip: .015 – .021 inches.
Sealer Designed To Bridge
Adhesion Primer is a high-adhesion sealer designed to bridge the gap between your surface and paint. This primer works on many different surfaces, including Kynar, PVC, Formica, vinyl, glass, tile, glazed brick, chalky paints, and glossy finishes.
4. KILZ Kitchen & Bath Primer, Interior, 1 Gallon
KILZ Kitchen & Bath Primer, Interior, 1 Gallon
KILZ Kitchen & Bath Interior Primer is a water-based, low odor, high hiding primer that offers excellent adhesion to most surfaces and provides a sound anchor for paints. This versatile product is ideal for use throughout your home including kitchen and bath areas before painting cabinets, walls, window trim, and doors.
Especially For High Humidity
KILZ Kitchen & Bath Primer is formulated especially for high humidity, moisture, and temperature environments such as kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms. This premium primer seals and blocks walls, ceilings and trim to provide an ideal surface for your final finish.
Get a fresh start on kitchen and bathroom cabinets, with this mildew-resistant primer that adheres to wood, fiberglass, and plastic. It features an easy spray application, minimal odor, and dries quickly to protect surfaces from paint adhesion problems.
5. KILZ L200201 Restoration Maximum Stain and Odor Blocking Interior Latex Primer
KILZ Restoration Primer, Interior, 1 Gallon
- Topcoat with latex or oil-based paint. Use on properly prepared interior surfaces, such as: brick, ceramic tile, drywall, glass, masonry, painted metal, plaster, stucco and wood. Performance of oil and shellac / Blocks tough stains (heavy water, grease and typical interior stains) and odors. Dries hard, sands easily - a great enamel undercoat
- This is a 1-gallon can of KILZ Restoration Latex Primer, Sealer, and Stain blocker for interior surfaces in white. Covers approximately 300-400 square feet per gallon. KILZ has been making premium primers and paints for 40 years. KILZ was named Paint Brand of the Year in 2015 in the Harris Poll EquiTrend Rankings.
- KILZ Restoration (formerly KILZ MAX) is a water-base primer, sealer and stain blocker developed with new technology that is formulated to perform like an oil-based product.
- Superior adhesion
- Seals strong odors (fire, smoke, pets)
KILZ Restoration Latex Primer is a water-based primer, sealer, and stain blocker with pigments that are formulated to perform like an oil-based product. KILZ Restoration is the first latex primer with maximum oil and fragrance blocking technology, giving your home beautiful protection from stains and odors. Its water-based formulation allows for scratch and stain resistance for interior surfaces, making KILZ Restoration the ideal choice for any interior application.
Heavy Water Damage
KILZ L200201 Restoration Maximum Stain and Odor Blocking Interior Latex Primer is specially formulated to tackle tough stains including medium to heavy water damage, rust, smoke, nicotine, grease, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker, pet stains, and more. Use this primer on drywall and other porous surfaces (hardboard, cellulose gypsum board) before painting or staining. It contains a 1% total VOC/VHAP content making it an environmentally friendly coating that seals strong odors caused by fire smoke or pets.
Product Blocks Tough
Use this product on properly prepared interior surfaces, such as brick, ceramic tile, drywall, glass, masonry, painted metal, plaster, stucco, and wood. This product blocks tough stains (heavy water, grease, and typical interior stains) and odors. Use it to prep your walls before painting them with latex or oil-based paint.
6. INSL-X AQ040009A-01 Aqua Lock Plus 100% Acrylic Water-Based Sealer Primer
INSL-X AQ040009A-01 Aqua Lock Plus 100% Acrylic Water-Based Sealer Primer, 1 Gallon, White
- Quick drying; Tack free in 30 minutes, topcoat in as little as 1 hour and low VOC.
- Apply when surface and ambient temperature is above 50 °F (10 °C) and below 90 °F (32 °C).
- Superior sealing and coverage qualities, product versatility and an excellent base coat for both latex and oil-based finish coatings.
- Multipurpose, 100% acrylic primer sealer that provides excellent adhesion to a variety of interior & exterior surfaces.
- 300 - 400 square foot coverage per gallon
Aqua Lock Plus is a 100% acrylic water-based sealer primer that provides excellent adhesion to a variety of interior & exterior surfaces. Aqua Lock Plus dries rapidly, achieving a low odor in 1 hour and minimal odor after one day. One coat coverage is recommended for both smooth and non-porous surfaces.
Water-based Sealer Primer
The INSL-X AQ040009A-01 Aqua Lock Plus is a 100% acrylic water-based sealer primer. This product has superior sealing and coverage qualities, product versatility, and an excellent base coat for both latex and oil-based finish coatings. The product may be applied by brush or roller to interior masonry surfaces prior to staining or painting with lacquer finishes. The Aqua Lock is easy to use and cleans up quickly with soap and water.
Our Aqua Lock Plus 100% Acrylic Water-Based Sealer Primer is an excellent stain-blocking primer that can be used as the first coat on wood and previously painted surfaces. Quick-drying and low VOC, this is excellent for new construction and existing building projects.
7. 1 qt XIM Products 11022 White XIM, 400 White Solvent
1 qt XIM Products 11022 White XIM, 400 White Solvent-Based Primer Bonder/Sealer
- Use with Alkyd or Latex topcoats
- For Tough-To-Paint surfaces: Glass, Tile, Formica, Metals, Many Plastics, glazed block, Fiberglass
- Solvent base White Bonding Primer/Sealer
- Interior or Exterior use
The XIM Products 11022 White Xim 400 Solvent-based interior/exterior primer and sealer is specially formulated to provide paintable surfaces. It is a solvent-based bonding prime that may be used in both residential and commercial applications.
High Solids Alkyd Solvent
White XIM is a worker’s safe, easy-to-use waterborne, high solids alkyd solvent that meets the VOC regulations for all 50 states. It is unique in that it dries to the touch in minutes and can be used with either alkyd or latex topcoats. White XIM provides excellent wetting and leveling capability, slurry retention, and brushability.
Easy To Apply
Tough-To-Paint Surfaces: Glass, Tile, Formica, Metals, Many Plastics, glazed block, and fiberglass. Perfect for restoring all of your tired old surfaces back to like-new with this white solvent. Will not harm plastics and is safe for the environment. Easy to apply using a brush or sprayer on any surface.
8. ROMAN Rx-35 Sealer/Primer for Torn Drywall, Skim Coat, and Wallpaper Paste
ROMAN Rx-35 Sealer/Primer for Torn Drywall, Skim Coat, and Wallpaper Paste, Bonding, Clear, Dries Tacky, PRO-999, (1 Gallon - 450 sq. ft.)
- Dries with a slight residual tack and enhancing adhesion of wallcovering or paint
- Tin table with up to 4-ounces of colorant
- This product is a wallpaper
- Applies easily with a brush, roller, or spraying system
Roman RX-35 Sealer is a ready-to-use fast-drying surface sealer/primer. This water-based product is perfect for sealing drywall prior to locating or texturing, or repairing skim coats. Roman RX-35 has excellent adhesion on most substrates and resists bleed-through of carpet and wall covering materials. Roman RX-35 Sealer dries to the touch in 10 minutes and can be sanded in 1 hour.
Slight Residual Tack
Roman Rx-35 is a highly durable, low-odor sealer/primer designed to be applied over torn drywall or skim-coated walls prior to the application of wallcoverings or paint. With its slight residual tack and excellent adhesion qualities, Roman Rx-35 creates a durable surface with excellent adhesion for your next project.
Skim Coating Skirting
Conceal the mess of old wallpaper and patch marks with Roman’s RX-35 sealer/primer. This water-based, latex-reactive primer is designed to provide a smooth, level base for all types of drywall finishing materials. It also seals cracks and holes, making it ideal for skim coating skirting or extended edges and installing display shelves.
How to Choose the Best Primer for New Drywall Before Purchasing
We have now finished discussing the top ten drywall paint primers. Proper priming is necessary to get the most out of your topcoat and increase its longevity. Additionally, a top-notch drywall primer will lessen the surface’s porosity and shield the drywall surface from stains caused by water, mildew, or grease. As a result, fewer coats of topcoats would be required to produce a smooth surface.
All of the items we’ve included here are excellent, but each one has a unique quality that makes it great for a specific kind of priming task. Finding a drywall primer that works well with your particular surface is essential because no two priming projects are the same. This section will go over some of the most crucial factors to bear in mind when buying a primer. So let’s get started.
The three primary forms of primers are water-based primers, primers based on shellac, and primers based on oil. Water-based primers, which have low or no volatile organic compound (VOC) content, produce little odor, and have low toxicity, effectively prevent grease, ink, felt imprints, and crayon stains. They are also simple to maintain and less prone to peeling or chipping.
Contrarily, oil-based primers work wonders in hiding the tannins and rust on metal and wood. The drawbacks include their difficult removal from surfaces, strong odor, and extended drying times. Primers made of shellac are used to protect the wood from additional harm, cover stains, and conceal smoke and soot markings. Additionally, the room can be maintained free of smoke and pet odors.
You can choose a drywall primer that will meet your application needs based on the type of coverage and surface requirements. Additionally, the primer can be colored to coordinate with your paint.
Generally speaking, you should constantly be searching for a good primer that conceals and covers any unclean regions. Normal wear and tear, mold growth, and water damage ought to be hidden. Only if it can conceal such stains will your wall have a faultless finish and seem wonderful. If you intend to paint the kitchen and bathroom, you’ll also need a primer that resists mold and mildew.
Adhesion and Sealing
The top coat needs to have excellent adhesion properties in order to cover the primer without cracking or flaking. If the adhesion is good, the painted surface will be more consistent and long-lasting. It’s also advised to use a primer that doubles as a sealer because it can help you use less paint overall.
Climate of Drying
The drying time of the primer you plan to purchase is another thing to take into account. The majority of latex-based primers dry in 30 minutes or less and can be applied again in an hour or two. On the other hand, oil-based primers take much longer to dry. The manufacturer’s instructions for weight and dry times should be strictly followed. This is owing to the likelihood that fast wall painting would cause peeling or chipping of the paint within a few years due to insufficient adhesion.
Before choosing a choice, consider the size of the area you intend to cover. You may calculate how much primer you need using this data. Purchasing more than you anticipate needed is the greatest way to make sure you have enough. When selecting a primer, you should also examine the container’s size, which can range from a gallon to a quart.
A cheap primer could attract you if your finances are tight. However, there is a chance that these goods can be subpar and unreliable. Instead, choose a well-known company with a large number of happy consumers. There are inexpensive options available that can help you save time and money in the long run.
Frequently Asked Question
Does New Drywall Need A Special Primer?
Priming the surface is crucial after installing new drywall. The new surface’s pores will allow the paint to be absorbed. After being primed with a primer, skim-coated drywall can be texturized or painted over to cover the joint compound underneath.
What Type Of Primer Do You Use With Sheetrock?
Since PVA primers are frequently used on drywall, they are also referred to as “drywall primers” (Polyvinyl acetate). Fresh, porous sheetrock is given a smooth, even finish by using PVA primer to seal the pores. After this, you can apply your topcoat more evenly.
How Many Coats Of Primer Do I Need To Paint Drywall?
It is suggested that you apply two layers of primer since the first coat will be absorbed by the wall and you want to make sure that any lost priming is replaced and that any flaws in the wall are covered up.
Can You Prime Drywall Without Mudding?
If you don’t tape and muddle your drywall before painting it, the finish will be subpar. This can lead to moisture, mold, mildew, and vermin, among other things. Painting unfinished drywall could violate local construction regulations and pose a fire risk.
Do You Have To Sand After Priming New Drywall?
The usual error made by beginners is to skip sanding after priming. However, the color will show through the paper fluff and lumps if you don’t sand before painting. Additionally, now is the time to use joint compound to cover up any additional flaws.
Drywall Primer is a liquid used to cover and seal the surface of a wall, before putting on a coat of paint. It can extend the life of your walls, creating a smoother, more even finish. We hope our guide helped you in finding the right primer to use for your walls. If that’s not enough, we recommend you have a look at other products at your local hardware shop too.