DIY Painting and stucco jobs can bring about serious headaches. But finding good paint for stucco can make all the difference when it comes to installing new colors on your walls and trim. Most homeowners just want a simple remodeling project that doesn’t require any special painting. And stucco is normally not something to worry about because most commercial and residential projects use it as an external finish. There are a few things you’ll need to consider, however, before choosing the right paint for your project.
Here are the best paint for stucco on the market.
How To Paint Stucco
Examine the stucco for deterioration before painting. Exists any harm at all? According to Gregg Cantor, president and CEO of Murray Lampert Design, Build, Remodel in San Diego, hairline flaws in your paintwork are typical. Corner stress cracks on windows and doors that point downward are another prevalent occurrence. As they settle, they can be repaired.
Cantor continues, “If you see horizontal cracks or large chunks of stucco that are missing or strangely discolored, you might find a more significant issue. An expert in stucco installation should be contacted to identify the source of the issue.
What Is Stucco and What Paint Should I Use?
Stucco is a typical architectural material used as an ornamental wall covering. Sand or aggregates, cement, and water are required to manufacture stucco. UV rays from the sun and the elements, in general, have very little effect on stucco. On the other side, stucco is susceptible to weather damage over time.
The strength of stucco can be increased by adding fiberglass and acrylics, but painting it is the most straightforward method of extending its lifespan. The best stucco paints protect against rain and the sun’s damaging UV radiation. If your stucco is not properly protected, it won’t last as long.
Why Use The Best Paints for Stucco?
Unquestionably, stucco is a great material to use for your home’s façade. Stucco is created using Portland cement, lime, water, sand, and other materials, and is then painted on the wall. It’s challenging not to enjoy stucco because it has so many appealing qualities. Stucco is incredibly resilient to the elements, strong, and resistant to bad weather.
Nevertheless, stucco has drawbacks. Over time, your stucco façade may acquire stains, tiny cracks, and chips. Stucco exterior paint is useful in those kinds of circumstances. It’s difficult to find stucco house paint that does more than just make your home’s outside brighter. It makes corrections and protects the older stucco layers from degradation.
Editor’s Pick-Paint For Stucco
Best Paint For Stucco Reviews In 2022
1. INSL-X SXA11009A-01 Stix Acrylic Waterborne Bonding Primer
- Coverage: 300 - 400 square feet per gallon.
- Excellent enamel holdout, providing a great base for an even topcoat finish.
- Bonds to "hard-to-coat" surfaces and can be top coated with almost any product.
- Bonding primer for drywall, plaster, ceiling, acoustical tile, wood trim and doors, Formica, ceramic tiles, glossy surfaces, PVC plastic, masonry walls, wood, trim, shutters, masonry, stucco, concrete, cement block, galvanized metal, aluminum, and other challenging surfaces.
- Fully cures in temperatures as low as 35 °F.
The SXA11009A-01 Stix Acrylic Waterborne Bonding Primer is a premium-quality, acrylic-urethane bonding primer-sealer with unparalleled adhesion to the most challenging surfaces, including glossy tile, PVC, vinyl, plastic, glass, glazed block, and galvanized metals. Combined with superior surface preparation, Stix Bonding Primer maximizes bond strength and durability for ease of application and overall results on the interior as well as exterior applications.
Bonding Primer On Walls
In-X SXA11009A-01 Stix Acrylic Waterborne Bonding Primer is a high-performance, acrylic bonding primer that adheres to multiple surfaces. It is used to prepare surfaces including drywall and metal for the application of waterborne topcoats. Use this bonding primer on walls, doors, and tiles as well as a wide range of other materials such as wood, Formica, and galvanized metal.
Primer Is A High-performance
The Stix Acrylic Waterborne Bonding Primer is a high-performance, breathable primer that bonds to “hard-to-coat” surfaces and can be top-coated with almost any product. Fully cures in temperatures as low as 35 °F. Coverage: 300 – 400 square feet per gallon.
2. Montage Signature Interior/Exterior Eco-Friendly Paint
- ✅10 YEAR WARRANTY - We can't wait to add you to our long list of loyal customers turning to Montage Signature for all of their painting needs. All paints are covered by our 10 Year Premium Warranty.
- ✅SUPERIOR COVERAGE & PROTECTION - All of our specialty finishes let you brush smoothly & evenly while delivering maximum coverage. Improved sealing technology allows for easy cleaning and protection from common water issues.
- ✅MADE IN USA - Montage Signature Paint believes in the power of a thriving American economy and the integrity of its people. 100% produced from Raw & Post Consumer latex paints right here in the USA.Made In the USA - Montage Paint Is Proud To Present Paint That Is 100% Produced From Raw & Post Consumer Latex Paints & Made In The USA
- ✅ECO FRIENDLY - We're committed to the highest quality environmentally-friendly & pollutant-free materials, and a rigorous engineering and testing process for each of our leading professional paints.
- ✅EXTREMELY VERSATILE - Montage Signature is the #1 choice for all of your professional painting needs - interior/exterior, small residential spaces, large commercial buildings & everything in between!
Montage Signature Eco-Friendly Paint is designed with the environment in mind. Our most durable and innovative paint has never been made more environmentally safe! We are dedicated to delivering superior performance for a healthy living space for you, your family, and your pets!
Made with the same advanced sealing technology as our paints, the Eco-Friendly paint is ideal for any job site. Each water-based formula reduces emissions, dries quickly, and brushes on smoothly to deliver maximum coverage. This low VOC paint is even friendly for the environment – so you can be sure that it protects your health and the health of everyone involved in your project.
As a leading professional paint brand, we’re committed to the highest quality eco-friendly & pollutant-free materials and a rigorous engineering and testing process for each of our interior/exterior professional paints.
3. SIKA – 503333 Sikacryl Ready-Mix Stucco Patch
- SUPPORTS: Used on a masonry surface, outdoor finish, foundation, and more.
- DURABILITY: Moisture resistant, won’t shrink or crack.
- Textured stucco patch, acrylic-based, easy to use, designed to a tough and durable finish.
- COVERAGE: 1 quarter covers approximately 20 sq. ft. at 1/32 in. (.8 mm.)
- PERFORMANCE: Indoor and outdoor use. Textured to be blended with stucco finish. Can be painted and easily cleaned with water.
Performa Brand exterior/interior tinted finish paint is a textured stucco patch that blends in with stucco applications and comes in a variety of colors. This paint is easy to use and resists stains and mildew. Use it for outdoor or indoor surfaces both indoors and out.
Use On A Masonry Surface
Choose Montage Signature Eco-Friendly Paint for your next paint job! This durable paint is ideal for use on a masonry surface, like a foundation or exterior walls. It features a moisture-resistant formula designed to withstand the elements and will not shrink or crack.
Interior And Exterior Applications
This paint is perfect for both interior and exterior applications. It provides a natural, durable, and eco-friendly finish with paint that is loaded with recycled materials.
4. AMES BWRF5 Water Base High Strength Elastomeric Liquid Rubber
- Block & Wall Liquid Rubber Waterproofer will fill cracks and crevices up to ⅛ inch. Block & Wall is thick, yet easy to apply and has up to 1800% elongation. Low odor and can be sprayed, rolled or brushed applied.
- 5 Gallon, White - Ames Block & Wall is packaged in 5 gallon pails - It is high in solids and dries to a nearly impenetrable tough elastic membrane that is up to 1800% elongation to resist cracking and peeling.
- Ames Block & Wall Liquid Rubber is an excellent coating for ICF (insulated concrete forms), metal, wood, concrete, and many other surfaces.
- Ames' Block & Wall Liquid Rubber is a specially formulated blend of adhesive, high strength elastomeric, liquid rubber for waterproofing concrete walls, cinder block, and more.
- Ames Block & Wall Liquid Rubber is non-toxic, low odor, environmentally friendly, and made in the USA
Ames Block & Wall Liquid Rubber is a specially formulated blend of high-strength elastomeric, liquid plastic, and adhesive. This patent-pending formulation is designed to provide the homeowner with a high-strength waterproofing solution for concrete block walls, cinder blocks, and more.
Corrosion From The Elements
Ames Block & Wall Liquid Rubber is an excellent coating for ICF (insulated concrete forms), metal, wood, concrete, and many other surfaces. The liquid rubber provides a durable and weatherproof coating that can protect against rust and corrosion from the elements. The resin system used in our Ames Block & Wall Liquid Rubber is specifically designed for application on cement-bonded units and over ceramic tiles.
Block & Wall Waterproofing is a thick yet easy-to-apply liquid rubber product. It is excellent for filling cracks, crevices, and expansion joints in concrete, masonry, and plaster walls. This product has a thin viscosity allowing it to be used over most waterproofing primers such as epoxy or asphalt-based primers.
5. Prestige Exterior Paint And Primer In One
- Low VOC: Less than 50 g/L 0. 42 lbs. /gal
- 100% Acrylic latex paint for easy soap and water clean-up
- Durable and washable with premium mildew resistant coating
- Ultra premium paint and primer in one
- High hiding formula for excellent coverage with smooth application
Prestige Exterior Paint and Primer In One is an innovative paint and primer in one. Its easy-to-use, quick-drying formula is designed for fast coverage with a smooth finish. This ultra-premium paint features high hiding technology for excellent coverage on all exterior walls.
Extended Durability Of Prestige
Prestige Exterior is 100% acrylic latex paint and primer in one. The extended durability of Prestige Exterior combined with an ultra-flat finish creates a beautiful preservative coat on decks, fences, garage doors, and other exterior surfaces. It’s perfect for new or previously painted projects that require a recoat but do not need primer first.
Provides Exceptional Coverage
Prestige Exterior Paint and Primer In One is a premium, washable paint, and primer that provides exceptional coverage in one application. This durable, highly pigmented formulation gives you the best coverage while preventing mildew growth on the surface.
6. KILZ Self-Priming Masonry, Stucco, and Brick Paint
- KILZ TRIBUTE paint comes in four sheens and 100 classic neutrals and on trend colors. Our low-voc durable and Washable long-lasting paints will beautify your home and enhance its livability and value
- This self-priming paint offers a finish on properly prepared smooth, rough and textured masonry, drywall, stucco, and brick surfaces
- Papyrus is a medium shade of almond. Because of its Neutral tone, it creates the perfect backdrop for adding your own personal style, allowing your other design elements to take center stage
- This is a 1-Gallon can of KILZ interior/exterior concrete, brick, and tile paint with a flat finish. Covers 250-400 square feet per gallon depending on surface texture
- Pearl-like, luminous, durable Satin paint will beatify your home. This remarkable formula can be scrubbed clean safely. Paint and primer in 1 covers light-medium stains and light-dark Color changes
KILZ TRIBUTE Satin is a low VOC, 100% Acrylic advanced technology paint and primer in one formulated for superior hide and coverage with exceptional durability. Excellent for priming and painting interior masonry, stucco, concrete, and brick surfaces. KILZ TRIBUTE Satin is the only environmentally safe self-priming sealer that delivers premium performance and adhesion while providing quick summertime application and maximum stain resistance capabilities such as mildew, mold, and algae resistance.
Papyrus Is A Medium Shade
The right paint can transform an old brick wall and give it a fresh look that’s uniquely yours. KILZ Masonry, Stucco, and Brick Paint protect mortar from absorbing acid rain, soil, and chemical stains for up to five years. Papyrus is a medium shade of almond. Because of its Neutral tone, it creates the perfect backdrop for adding your own personal style, allowing your other design elements to take center stage.
Durable Satin Finish Paint
KILZ Self-Priming Masonry, Stucco, and Brick Paint: Pearl-like, luminous, durable Satin finish paint will enhance the beauty of your home. This remarkable formula can be scrubbed clean safely. KILZ is an all-in-1 paint and primer that covers light-medium stains, light-dark color changes, and minor repairs on masonry surfaces such as stucco, brick, concrete block, and siding.
What To Consider When Choosing The Best Paint For Stucco
After reading about some of our best stucco paints, you might want to think about a few other factors to help you choose the right paint. Talking to neighbors or people in your neighborhood who have painted stucco walls is a fantastic idea too, as they can know crucial details about what works and what doesn’t in your neighborhood’s environment.
Carbon Monoxide and Dioxide of Carbon
Chemicals known as VOCs (volatile organic compounds) are frequently used in the manufacture of exterior paints. These drugs can cause breathing difficulties, nausea, migraines, and damage to the liver and kidneys. This might not be a problem for individuals who intend to work outside in the open air, but it is advised that you use the appropriate safety equipment, such as goggles and a respirator. There are paints available that are positioned as eco-friendly alternatives to traditional paints.
Longevity of Color
You might be concerned about how long an outdoor paint’s color will last. Darker shades will appear to fade more quickly than brighter ones when this is kept in mind. Darker paint colors last longer thanks to the addition of tin oxide as a component. Because they penetrate stucco more deeply than elastomeric and masonry paints, acrylic paints maintain their brightness longer after application. The most widely used type of stucco paint
Influence On The Climate
The humidity and temperature might have an impact on how long your stucco paint takes to dry and cure. Fortunately, there are paints available that work just as well in humid situations and dry quickly even in temperatures as low as 36 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are unsure about the product’s climate compatibility, see the manufacturer’s information sheet or give them a call.
Durability is an important factor to take into consideration when selecting paint for stucco. The viscosity of paint is a reliable indicator of how well it will cover and how long it will last. Thick coatings can be used to span hairline fissures. Elastomeric paints have this characteristic. Only two of the various available finishes are glossy and matte.
Ideal Paint for Stucco Exterior Walls
Surfaces with a higher proportion of matte finishes can better hide flaws. High gloss surfaces have the potential to highlight flaws. Apply many coats of paint for a durable finish. If you have more than one layer of paint, you should take it off before adding another.
Protection From The Environment
Exterior paints are specially designed to survive weather changes, rain, UV radiation from the sun, and snow. Because of this, they are more resilient than interior paints. The finest waterproofing, temperature, and ultraviolet resistance are offered by elastomeric paints, which makes them perfect for outdoor applications. It is advised that you use a primer before applying elastomeric paints. On the other hand, masonry paints have better UV protection than elastomeric paints, despite the latter’s superior performance.
Frequently Asked Question
What Kind Of Paint Should You Use On Stucco?
Using Acrylic Paint The best exterior paint for stucco in most cases is acrylic paint that contains only acrylic. Because it is durable and simple to use while still allowing the surface to breathe, acrylic latex paint is a perfect option for stucco.
What Is The Best Paint Finish For Stucco?
Never apply high-gloss paint over stucco. For stucco, low-shine or flat paints work best. Kelly-Moore provides a wide range of exterior acrylic masonry paints to revive your stucco home in addition to flat and low-sheen paints.
Is It Better To Roll Or Spray Paint Stucco?
Painting stucco can be done with an airless sprayer or roller; a brush is not advised. Using a roller can make bigger tasks seem scary. For large tasks, an airless sprayer should be used. Applying paint is simple, especially on large projects.
Do I Need Special Paint For Stucco?
Is it necessary to use paint designed for stucco? Stucco can be painted using elastomeric, acrylic, or masonry paint. When applied, some products could seem excellent, but they have a higher propensity to bubble, peel, or break over time.
Does Stucco Require Special Paint?
In a nutshell, the answer is yes! A traditional (cement-based) finish or an acrylic-based finish can both be painted on the same surface. Even without the final layer, the brown coat—the base coat—of stucco can be painted!
Today, paints are available in so many different finishes that it can be hard to choose the right one for any particular job. But whether you’re shopping for exterior paint, a high-end finish, or even specialty paint, at the end of the day a coat of paint is a coat of paint. Choose the best one for your house or commercial property to get it looking its best.