An ID card is one of the common items that connect people. Whether you are visiting a new place or undergoing day-to-day checking into an organization, you will need your identification card to gain access. With your ID card, it’s easy to access business premises or catch up with your classmates.
Whether a student or business owner, printing an ID card is a great decision you shouldn’t regret making. You will gain access to different locations and enjoy the increased trust and always confirm your identity stress-free. The good news? With the best ID card printer, it is easy and quick to print top-notch ID cards.
Choosing the best printer will make it easy to enjoy professional-quality printing, save time, and chance to customize your printings as you want. Unfortunately, if you are printing your first ID card, you may wonder which printer best suits your needs. This article provides an overview of the best ID card printers. Read on.
7 Best ID Card Printers-Everything To Know
1. Evolis Primacy Dual-Sided ID Card Printer
The Evolis Primacy magnetic and plastic card printer is a top pick among many clients, and you shouldn’t be left behind. It is an incredible model ideal for printing and producing student cards, National ID cards, employee badges or cards, transport tickets, and payment cards.
With this printer, it is easy to print quality ID cards on both sides. It is single-sided or double-sided and will meet are your card printing and encoding needs. This printer is an excellent choice for many people looking for speed and versatility when printing cards of different qualities and sizes.
This Evolis Primacy printer is ultra-fast, efficient, and powerful as it uses the latest technologies in the printing and encoding sector. You can print thousands of cards per year using this superb printer. And enjoy resin thermal transfer and dye-sublimation to pint your cards and experiment with different colors.
The printer also comes in an eco-friendly design as it is manufactured using recycled materials to reduce electrical consumption and carbon monoxide emissions. Hence, you can use it in any room to print cards without any worries.
- Performance: the ID card printer can deliver up to 210 color cards and 850 monochrome cards per hour. It takes one of the top positions among the best printers in the market.
- Built-in LED screen: interestingly, the device is equipped with a built-in LED screen the alerts the user when to run a maintenance check on it and the ribbon size left. Also, in case of any troubleshooting, you can detect the error code using the notification system.
- Dual-sided machine: thanks to its dual design, it is perfect for handling a large batch of operations with high efficiency. The device also comes with 100 input and output hoppers to speed up the printing process.
- Enables LAN and USB connections
- Great performance
- Good color grading
- Excellent card coverage
- Print settings may change
2. Magicard Pronto ID Card Printer
Not all printers you will find in the market embrace the dye-sublimation digital printing technology. The good news is that with the Magicard Pronto ID card printer, you have a model that uses heat transfer to apply an image to the target substrate.
It is a great model for printing your professional-grade photo ID cards or membership cards. It comes packaged with all the necessary accessories to print as many cards as you wish. This is an easy-to-use printer with user-friendly features that make it quick to print loads of cards.
This printer is compatible with Bodno PVC cards, color ribbon, and software. You will be supplied with 100 high-quality and durable white PVC cards that are easy to print and use. Not to mention, you don’t need prior experience to use the Bodno bronze software to create unique cards.
This technology will make it easy to use pre-made templates, drag and drop images, text boxes, and design elements for your fantastic cards that look professionally made. Most importantly, don’t stress designing and printing cards, as this software comes with lifetime support and a two-year warranty.
- The machine can print single pages and is equipped with easy-to-use software and a photo ID camera. You can take photos as well as use images and designs.
- The printer’s best design makes it easy to place in the corner of your beautiful home or for small organizations. It can print up to 500 cards a year and is guaranteed to last a long time.
- You can print many cards with this ID maker – motel key cards and ID cards. All these cards are printed in the highest quality to show the quality of the equipment. With the included software, hobbyists can easily design and make more prints. There are built-in templates to choose from, and you can drag and drop images to personalize them.
- It offers high-speed printing.
- The ID card printer comes with a camera.
- No clear instructions.
3. Badgy200 Color Plastic ID Card Printer
You don’t have to spend a fortune to get the best ID card printer. The Badgy200 color plastic ID card printer is budget-friendly and comes with unique features you will undoubtedly fall in love with.
With this printer, you can print everything you want, whether a professional-grade photo ID card or a membership card. Everything you need to print is already included in the package, and you can start from the word go.
This plastic card ID printer is compatible with different devices like PC and Mac, and you can connect it easily via a USB 3.0 or 2.0 hardware interface. It is easy to set up for a beginner, and you can print a color badge or card in 38 seconds, thanks to its ultra-fast speed.
The Bodno bronze software is easy to use and makes it efficient to design and print cards with diverse elements. You just need to request a quote and have the printer delivered to your doorsteps.
- It also has an input capacity of 25 cards and a print speed of 38 seconds per card. If you need a printer to print about 1,000 cards a year, this is the printer for you.
- The bronze addition to the Bodno software is also easy to understand and access the many templates used in the various cards.
- Simple software
- It has a high input power
- Faster printing
- Difficult to set up
4. Magicard 300 Dual-Sided ID Card Printer
You will never regret investing in a Magicard 300 dual-sided ID card printer. It is a stand-out model ahead of its time and makes it easy to print fully customizable ID cards. The Bodno software makes it easy to create any design with the drag & drop feature.
You can easily add a company logo, unique backgrounds, photographs, and barcodes to your customized card. The printer package includes everything you need to print high-quality and durable ID cards, from ID camera, dye film (ribbon) to 300 PVC cards.
The high-value-packed ID card maker guarantees fast print speeds of up to 160 full-color or 720 monochrome single-sided cards per hour. Its ultra-fast printing speed is better than that of even more expensive models. Thanks to its high performance and convenience, you will rest assured of enhanced ID card print quality with this printer.
You are capable of printing at 300 x 300 dpi and enjoy the color-rich and vibrant output. Significantly, this Magicard 300 ID card printer will offer enhanced connectivity via ethernet and USB 2.0, making it easy to undertake huge printing projects.
- The Magicard printer comes complete with a printer model and ribbon, 100 PVC cards, and Card Imaging design software.
- With the Card Imaging software, you can easily personalize ID cards, badges, or gift cards with photos, images, text, or barcodes.
- Easy to operate. You don’t have to spend hours getting the device up and running. The USB system with its plug-and-play function is very convenient because you can always enjoy the ease of use. Printing a full-color card takes less than 30 seconds, and operating costs are also very low.
- Can print in both portrait and landscape orientation
- Easy to set up and operate for beginners
- Long-lasting print quality
- The instructions are not clear
5. Complete AlphaCard ID Card Printer
If you have been looking for an on-demand ID card printer, worry no more. Buy the AlphaCard ID card printer with unique features, including the ability to produce full-color ID cards. It’s an excellent option for printing ID cards in the education, retail, health, and fitness sectors.
You will have a great membership card you can use any time you want. The printer uses a hand-fed process to print each card individually. You don’t have to worry about the low-volume card printing process.
The printer can guarantee quick print speeds between 35 seconds for full-color cards and 7 seconds for monochrome cards to print as many cards as you want. The complete AlphaCard ID card system uses software with everything you need to print high-quality ID cards.
It comes with a pilot printer, 100 print YMCKO ribbons, 100 blank cards, and your unique AlphaCard30 membership. You will fall in love with the built-in AlphaGuard watermark system to print distinctive ID cards via dye-sublimation printing technology.
- AlphaCard ID Suite PC software allows you to create basic designs and templates for your desired ID card.
- Additionally, you can even print in different colors using the standard 38-second process. The Complete AlphaCard ID card printer comes equipped with the essential consumables for the hobbyist, including the YMCKO ribbon and the superior Alpha Care 30 membership.
- It even includes magnetic strips or 1D barcodes with security targets and lets you print on all sides of the ID card with a small expansion of this version.
- Great for creating a leading security card
- Produces high-quality ink and PVC cards
- It provides fast printing times
- Easy to use
- It is not compatible with MAC.
6. Fargo HDP5000 Dual Side High Definition ID Card Printer
ID card printers come in all designs and qualities. Picking the Fargo HDP5000 Dual Side high definition printer is a worthwhile investment that will change your printing experiences and satisfy your needs. This printer comes with loads of supplies that will include transfer film as it embraces the dye-sublimation technology to print exclusive and high-quality ID cards.
You will also find the YMCK color ribbon, 100 PVC cards, and Card Imaging design software in the package. The software is designed to help use the drag & drop feature to create your ID card designs and easily print them.
The printer guarantees HD printing capability as you can print on both sides of the card in a matter of seconds. You don’t need any prior knowledge or experience to set up or print as the machine is compatible with PC and an excellent choice for office use.
The HDP film is durable and high quality to create perfectly customized cards for day-to-day use. Just place an order for this printer whenever in need of printing quality ID cards.
- With this device, you can print different cards – gift cards, loyalty cards, membership cards, ID cards, credit cards, and security cards. You can also print identification cards. This device is designed for medium print volumes. You can print on both sides of a card at the same time.
- Reverse transfer printing produces high-quality, beautiful images and text that are permanent. It delivers the same excellent quality as smart chip cards. Its compact size allows it to fit in any corner of your office or home.
- The easy-to-use software makes creating access cards and IDs a breeze. Choose to print with or without photos, design, and code to suit your needs. The print head is protected from damage with reverse transfer technology, making this dual-sided ID card printer.
- Dual-sided printer for simultaneous printing on both sides
- Reverse transfer technology for clearer images and text
- Suitable for printing smart cards and other types of cards
- A set of 100 blank cards of the highest quality
- Convenient design and printing software.
7. Fargo DTC4250e Dual-Sided ID Card Printer
Make your list for the best ID card printer complete by picking another model from Fargo. This DTC4250e dual-sided ID card printer will satisfy all your needs and ensure you can print as many cards as you within the shortest time possible.
It uses dye sublimation and thermal transfer technology, so you will quickly come up with high-quality, long-lasting ID cards. You just need to make sure the transfer is perfect and well-executed.
The supplies included in the printer package vary from color ribbon that can make more than 250 prints and Card Imaging design software. Hence, you can create and print your customized ID card for diverse use. This Fargo printer comes with a smart LCD screen that provides easy access to more complex and simple print commands to help undertake massive printing projects.
You will also efficiently make distinctive ID cards as the printer can erase, rewrite, and print on both sides. Place an order on this printer today and save more money printing your ID cards.
- Its compact design makes it a suitable device for convenient storage and use, as it does not take up much space. Be sure to protect it from direct heat and sunlight.
- With Mac and Windows compatibility, you can easily install and use the design software. It provides additional features: 20 barcodes, 50 preset design templates, and unlimited text fields on both sides of the card.
- Your print commands can be simple or complex, but the smart control panel with an LCD screen on the printer makes it easy to adjust settings and keep track of what you’re doing.
- Low power consumption
- The best product on the market for security cards
- Easy setup
- Perfect for bulk printing
- Camera not included
What To Look For Before Buying ID Card Printers?
Buying an ID card printer should be a long-term investment, as you won’t want to replace it before it runs out of life. Therefore, there are some factors to consider carefully before buying an ID card printer. We will discuss these factors below.
Determine the space where you will be storing the printer, as this will give you an idea of the size of printer you should choose. Since you will likely be using the printer frequently, the space should be chosen to be easily accessible.
Number of Prints
Before buying an ID card printer, you should roughly estimate how many cards you will need in a year. Since not all printers have the same capacity, you should choose a printer based on the number of cards you will need.
You may need more than just employee ID cards. Many organizations carry visitor cards or offer loyalty cards for longtime customers. So when calculating the number of cards you need per year, you need to consider these factors.
The speed at which a printer can print ID cards varies from device to device. While some devices only take 10 seconds to print an ID card, others can take up to 35 seconds. Depending on how fast you want your printer to do the job for you, choose the correct option.
The speed of your printer also depends on whether you are printing in monochrome or color. Monochrome printers are faster because they only handle one color.
You can choose your printer depending on whether you want a single-sided or double-sided badge. The first type is sufficient for basic information such as name, title, badge number, and photo.
If you want to add additional information such as an address, blood type, etc., you need a printer that can print the information on both sides of the card simultaneously.
How ID Card Printer Works
ID card printer technology works by running a heated print head over a ribbon that transfers colors to the card to create a design. With a variety of printing technologies and ribbons, almost any design can be made!
Most ID card printers use one of two card printing technologies – sublimation printing or reverse transfer printing. Both methods require a print head, ribbon, and blank card.
The printhead applies the ribbon directly to the card in dye-sublimation printing (also called direct printing). This printing method is known for its high printing speed, making it ideal for businesses that need to print cards quickly and efficiently.
With reverse transfer printing, your design is first printed on a clear transfer ribbon, then applied to the card. This process allows for edge-to-edge printing because the transfer ribbon is larger than the CR80 card and surrounds the card. Because the print head is not in contact with the card but only with the foil, reverse transfer printers are recommended for printing on cards with uneven surfaces, such as process cards.
Which ID Card Printer Is Best?
The best ID card printers include:
- Evolis Primacy Dual-Sided ID Card Printer
- Magicard Pronto ID Card Printer
- Fargo DTC4500e
- Magicard Enduro 3e
- Fargo HDP5000 Dual Side High Definition ID Card Printer
- Complete AlphaCard ID Card Printer
How Much Does It Cost To Print ID Cards?
There is no hard and fast rule for calculating total ID card costs, but we can arrive at a figure by looking at prices that are easy to quantify, such as:
- ID card printer
- Printer ribbons.
- Blank PVC cards.
- Number of cards/year
- The expected lifespan of the printer
To calculate the total cost per card, you must consider the capital cost of the printer and the expected number of cards you will print over the life of the printer.
What Is ID Size For Printing?
The CR80 ID card is the size of a credit card and is considered the standard size for most industries. The size of the CR80 card is 3.375″ x 2,125″. It is the most common ID card format and is used in various industries for photo ID cards, cashless payments, access control, timekeeping, student ID cards, library cards, etc.
CR80 cards are available as standard PVC cards, PVC/polyvinyl chloride combination cards, magnetic stripe cards, smart cards, color cards, etc.
Which Printer Can Print PVC Cards?
The best model is the PVC Inkjet Printer because it has the highest print resolution. It is a high-quality inkjet CD printer that features high-speed, borderless printing and pigment-based inks. If you want models with high print speeds, check out our test of the fastest inkjet printer.
Can My Printer Print on The Card?
Your printer gives you the tools you need to create and print almost any pattern on cardstock. Cardstock, a mixture of heavy paper and thin cardstock, gives your prints a professional look and feel. Most printers can print on cardstock if you make a few adjustments first.
You have already learned that there are different types of ID card printers. Each one has different features for various printing needs.
This article would like to provide you with the essential information you need to choose the best ID card printer. Choosing an ID card printer requires special attention.
If you know how many ID cards you need to print per year, it will be easier to choose a device. With the help of this article, you can quickly narrow down your options and choose the best brand.