What’s in dog food? Dog nutrition. The essential nutrients for dogs are protein, fat, fiber, and water. Carbohydrates play a secondary role. The source of carbohydrates can be brown rice and barley or potatoes and sweet potatoes. These ingredients contain fiber and essential vitamins (A, D, and B groups). They usually don’t cause allergies in dogs since are animal-derived.
Corn is an inexpensive vitamin-free filler that’s found in some commercial dog foods sold at supermarkets as well as pet food shops. It’s added to grain-free recipes to produce bulk and cost savings. Corn is metabolized by the body but not completely digestible which makes it a potential allergen. Similarly, wheat gluten — produced by removing the starch from wheat flour — is heavily processed, leaving little nutritional value behind.
Here are the best grocery store dog food on the market.
Editor’ Pick-Grocery Store Dog Food
Best Grocery Store Dog Food Reviews In 2022
1. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet the energy needs of adult dogs, and features omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
Formulated for the health and well-being of dogs, Blue Life Protection Formula Dry Dog Food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It contains the ingredients you’ll love feeding as much as they’ll love eating. Blue Life Protection Formula dog food is a product of the Blue Buffalo company. Based in the United States, Blue Buffalo makes premium-quality pet foods featuring real meat, fruit, and vegetables.
High-Quality Protein Sources
Real meat is the first ingredient to provide your dog with the protein he needs to help build and maintain strong muscles.
Vitamins and Minerals
Packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, this formula helps support your dog’s immune system health.
Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids
With the addition of fish oil, every meal helps promote your best friend’s skin and coat health.
2. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health. Used to be known as FOCUS Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice Formula
- One (1) 30 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Dog Food With Probiotics for Dogs, Salmon & Rice Formula
- No corn, wheat or soy. No artificial colors or flavors. No poultry by product meal
- Antioxidants for a healthy immune system. Fish oil rich in omega-3 fatty acids for joint health and mobility
- Sunflower oil rich in omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat. Natural prebiotic fiber nourishes specific intestinal bacteria for digestive health
Help nourish your dog’s sensitive systems with gentle nutrition to help them thrive. Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach dry formulas are made with real salmon, turkey, or lamb as the first ingredient and Omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat. Available in specialized formulas for adults, small breeds, large breeds, seniors, and puppies, plus a wet formula for dogs that prefer a softer texture. It’s great-tasting, high-quality nutrition that helps support your sensitive dog’s overall health and well-being.
High-quality Source Of Protein
Look out for your dog’s sensitive skin and stomach with Purina Pro Plan Brand Dog Food Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice Formula adult dry dog food. Nutrient-rich salmon is the first ingredient and a high-quality source of protein in this sensitive skin and stomach dog food. The adult dog food for sensitive stomachs features a highly digestible formula and nourishes the beneficial bacteria found in your dog’s intestine for his digestive health.
Healthy Joints And Mobility
Ingredients such as rice and oat meal provide easily digestible sources of carbohydrates for your dog. Fish oil—rich in EPA, one of the omega-3 fatty acids—helps support healthy joints and mobility, while omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin A nourish your dog’s skin and keep his coat looking healthy. Plus, there is also no corn, wheat, or soy in our sensitive skin dog food formula. Keep your dog feeling healthy, happy, and extraordinary with Purina Pro Plan Brand Dog Food Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice Formula adult dry dog food.
3. IAMS Minichunks Adult Dry Dog Food
- IAMS Super Premium Dog Food: Choose the nutrition that brings out your dog's best, tailored for their unique needs; Our high-quality, premium recipes are made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world
- Veterinarians Recommend IAMS: This tasty kibble supports healthy digestion with a wholesome blend of fibers and prebiotics, plus antioxidants to support a strong immune system
- Complete and Balanced Nutrition for Adult Dogs: IAMS Dog Food is made with high quality animal protein and no artificial preservatives, flavors or fillers, for complete and balanced nutrition
- Tailored to Your Dog: We carry a full line of foods for your dog's age, size and dietary needs from puppy to adult to mature, small breeds to large, and with recipes to support healthy weight and digestion
- Adult Dry Dog Food: Give your dog the nutrition they need in the small kibble size they prefer, with real, farm-raised chicken as the first ingredient to promote strong muscles with premium-sourced protein
Your dog is one-of-a-kind… that’s why IAMS makes dry dog food that’s just as unique as they are. IAMS Adult Minichunks Small Kibble Dry Dog Food with Real Chicken gives your lovable adult dog the nutrition they need in the small kibble size they prefer. With real, farm-raised chicken as the first ingredient, this adult dog food supports healthy digestion with a wholesome blend of fibers and prebiotics. Plus, the smaller dog kibble promotes strong muscles with a premium-sourced protein. When you feed your dog IAMS dry food, you can feel good knowing they’re getting the nutrition they need to bring out their unique best.
Contains High-quality Animal Protein
High-quality animal protein is used in all IAMS Dog Food formulas.
100% Complete & Balanced Nutrition
IAMS Dog Food is made with no artificial preservatives or flavors and 0% fillers, for complete and balanced nutrition.
Real, Wholesome Ingredients
Our high-quality, premium recipes are made in the USA with the world’s finest ingredients to give dogs the nutrition they need.
4. Taste of the Wild Roasted Bison and Venison High Protein
- Each serving includes species-specific K9 Strain PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS — plus antioxidants and prebiotics — to help support healthy digestion, IMMUNE system and overall health and wellness
- Taste of the Wild High Prairie with ROASTED BISON and VENISON dry dog food; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; high-protein (32%) to help support bones, joints and LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- FAMILY OWNED; MADE in the USA using PREMIUM INGREDIENTS from trusted, sustainable sources around the world
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from FRUITS and SUPERFOODS; omega fatty acids for healthy SKIN and COAT
Modern science proves that your dog shares the DNA of the wolf. Years of domestication and excellent care have turned your dog from a short-lived potential foe to a long-lived best friend. Although their DNA remains the same and their tastes demand something of the wild, their diet should provide them with all the proper ingredients and nutrition they need to thrive. A grain-free recipe with sweet potatoes and peas provides highly digestible energy for your active dog. Made with real roasted meat, this recipe offers a taste sensation like no other. Supplemented with vegetables and fruits, this hearty recipe delivers antioxidants to help give your friend a healthy lifestyle. Your dog craves tastes from their wild past. Go ahead and give them one.
Pasture-Raised Bison & Pasture-Raised Venison
Roasted bison and roasted venison provide highly digestible protein with a roasted flavor your dog will crave.
Healthy digestive and immune systems are vital to the overall health of your pet. Our proprietary K9 Strain Probiotics are developed specifically for dogs and added after the cooking process to ensure viability. Each pound of Taste of the Wild provides 80 million live, active cultures that help support healthy digestive and immune systems.
5. Rachael Ray Nutrish PEAK Nutrient Dense Dry Dog Food
- Contains (1) 23 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food.
- No added grains, gluten or filler ingredients
- Real beef is the number one ingredient
- No artificial flavors, colors or artificial preservatives
- Thirty percent high-quality protein to help keep your dog full and satisfied
Adult dogs and puppies love to get in touch with their wild side – even if it’s just in the backyard. Rachael Ray Nutrish Peak Open Prairie Recipe With Beef, Venison & Lamb is a natural dry dog food recipe with added vitamins, minerals, taurine, and delicious protein that dogs instinctually crave. Real beef is always the #1 ingredient, along with real venison and real lamb for an even more flavorful experience. It’s a nutrient-dense recipe with 30% high-quality protein to help keep your dog satisfied. What you won’t find in this recipe are added grains, gluten, or filler ingredients – and, of course, there are no artificial flavors, colors, or artificial preservatives, either. Just real goodness.
Nutrition For Adult Dogs
Real beef is the number one ingredient in Nutrish Peak, and 30% of it is high-quality protein to help keep your dog full and satisfied. This delicious dry dog food provides complete and balanced nutrition for adult dogs that are highly active but don’t need an excess of calories.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Peak Dry Dog Food is made with nutrient-dense ingredients to help your dog live a life of peak health. This formula is grain-free and gluten-free, made without added grains, ingredients, or fillers. The food contains high levels of vitamins and minerals—for long, happy life.
Why Is Wet Food Bad For Dogs?
Due to the high water content and packaging, canned food is more expensive per calorie than kibble. Another drawback of canned dog food is that it may cause periodontal disease in some dogs. Dry food and canned food can be fed to dogs on a daily basis.
Is It Cruel To Feed A Dog Once A Day?
At the very least, veterinarians advise feeding a dog twice a day. Dogs with specific medical or dietary requirements may necessitate individualized feeding regimens or dietary restrictions. Ensure you’re meeting your dog’s dietary and medical requirements by consulting with your veterinarian.
The best dog food brands out there pass muster with both critics and owners, including vets and animal shelters, making them a great choice for your pet. Dog food brands are specifically designed for different life stages, to match dogs’ calorie needs with the vitamins and minerals they require.