A fabric softener is a liquid or powder additive that is used in place of your standard detergent when washing clothes in the home. The fabric softener will typically come in a capsule or liquid form, and it will be added to the washer along with a load of dirty clothes. Fabric softeners have been around for years, and they have proven an effective alternative to many laundry detergents, using the same basic concept but with different results.
We tested this list below the best fabric softener for sensitive skin on the market.
How To Wash Clothes If You Have Allergies Or Sensitive Skin
You must maintain your clothes and materials immaculate if you want to keep your home free of allergens and triggers for persons with sensitive skin and allergies. Learn how Downy Free & Kind refreshes and softens fabrics while being kind to skin that is sensitive.
Make Sure That Newly Purchased Clothing Has Been Washed Before Wearing It: Always wash new clothes before wearing them in order to prevent allergic reactions or skin rashes. Finishes that are applied to clothing and other items to improve their appearance in stores have the potential to trigger allergic reactions and irritate already delicate skin. Therefore, it is crucial that all recently bought items be meticulously cleaned before wearing them.
Don’t Fill The Container To The Top: You can figure out how much detergent to use by reading the care tag.
Always pay attention to the dosage levels on detergent containers and check garment labels to ensure that you’re using the right amount of detergent, the right temperatures/cycles, etc.
It Is Advised To Use A Gentle Detergent: Use the washing machine’s Tide Free & Gentle Detergent without Perfume.
Some detergents’ fragrances and colors may irritate or trigger allergic reactions in people with sensitive skin. In addition to offering a thorough clean, Tide Free & Gentle Detergent is kind to skin that is sensitive.
Repeat the Rinsing: To remove any leftover residue, use your machine’s second rinse option. Use the second or “extra rinse” setting on your washer if it has one to be sure there are no allergens or detergent traces left in the wash.
Instead, Use An Odorless, Dye-free Fabric Softener: Downy Free & GentleTM Fabric Conditioner doesn’t include any fragrances or dyes, making it the perfect product for those with sensitive skin. Use Downy to soften and shield your clothing against stretching, fading, and fuzzing.
Incorporate A Dryer Sheet: To relieve itchy, irritated, or allergic skin, use Downy Dryer Sheets. All that is required to complete drying is a Bounce Free & GentleTM Dryer Sheet. Due to the absence of colors and scents, it is also hypoallergenic.
Editor’s Pick-Fabric Softener For Sensitive Skin
Downy Ultra Plus Free & Gentle Laundry Fabric Softener Liquid, Concentrated, 51 oz Bottles, 2 Pack,...
|9.5||Buy on Amazon|
all Liquid Fabric Softener, Free Clear for Sensitive Skin, 48 Fluid Ounces, 60 Loads
|9.4||Buy on Amazon|
Snuggle Liquid Fabric Softener, Dye Free for Sensitive Skin, 2X Concentrated, 200 Loads
|9.8||Buy on Amazon|
Downy Nature Blends Laundry Fabric Softener Liquid, Honey Lavender, 44 Oz Bottles, 2 Pack, 104 Loads...
|9.6||Buy on Amazon|
Botanical Origin Plant-based Fabric Softener, Hypoallergenic, Free from Parabens, Orange Blossom and...
|9.5||Buy on Amazon|
Best Fabric Softener For Sensitive Skin Reviews In 2022
1. Bounce Dryer Sheets Laundry Fabric Softener
Bounce Dryer Sheets Laundry Fabric Softener, Free & Gentle, 240 Count, White
- Controls static cling in fabrics and helps repel lint & hair.
- Dermatologist tested, mild on skin
- Contains biodegradable cationic softeners
- Hypoallergenic, free of any dyes or perfume
- Contains Polyester substrate
Bounce is one of the most popular fabric softeners in the U.S., used by more than 80% of us. Our ultra-concentrated formula is hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested, so it’s gentle on skin, even in sensitive skin types. And unlike powders, our sheets are free of any dyes or perfume.
Powerful Fabric Softener
Bounce dryer sheets are a powerful fabric softener in a convenient form. Bouncer sheets help reduce wrinkles so you can iron less, control static cling in fabrics, and helps repel lint & hair.
Iron Less And Fight More Static
Toss in two Bounce dryer sheets for your average loads to iron less and fight more static, repel more lint & pet hair, add more softness and brighten colors. As a powerful fabric conditioner, Bounce keeps clothes feeling soft and clean from washing to wear.
2. All Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets for Sensitive Skin
All Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets for Sensitive Skin, Free Clear, 120 Count
- Leave fabrics virtually static-free, more comfortable on sensitive skin, and free of irritating residue with these specially-treated dryer sheets
- Made by the #1 detergent brand recommended by dermatologists for sensitive skin, these hypoallergenic dryer sheets are 100% free of dyes and perfumes
- Use with all Free Clear laundry detergent and fabric softener for clean and soft clothes with static cling reduction in the dryer
- Toss in a sheet with a load in your dryer for clothes and bedding that are gentle on the skin
- This box contains 120 dryer sheets
Leave fabrics virtually static-free, more comfortable on sensitive skin, and free of irritating residue with these specially-treated dryer sheets. With a scented or unscented option that can be used in any fabric softener dispenser, our all fabric softener dryer sheets are the ideal choice for those who want a clean, fresh scent that doesn’t overpower.
Quality Fabric Softening Performance
These hypoallergenic dryer sheets feature the same quality fabric softening performance as standard varieties, but they’re formulated to be gentle on sensitive skin. They are 100% free of dyes and perfumes and have been clinically proven to reduce symptoms of itching and scaling associated with eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea.
Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets
Sensitive skin can be so rough! Free Clear Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets are the solution to keeping your clothes and bedding gentle on the skin. Simply toss one in with a load in your dryer, and dry away static cling reduction. And don’t forget to use all Free Clear laundry detergent and fabric softener for clean and soft clothes with static cling reduction in the dryer. This box contains 120 dryer sheets.
3. Downy Ultra Plus Free & Gentle Laundry Fabric Softener Liquid, Concentrated, 51 oz Bottles, 2 Pack
Downy Ultra Plus Free & Gentle Laundry Fabric Softener Liquid, Concentrated, 51 oz Bottles, 2 Pack, 152 Loads Total
- More concentrated: with 76 loads per bottle (compared to 60 loads in Ultra Downy)
- Reduces more wrinkles than detergent alone
- Conditions to help prevent stretching, fading, and fuzz
- Long-lasting freshness and soft fabrics with no dyes or perfumes
- Compatible with HE machines
Downy Ultra is a laundry liquid fabric softener that helps prevent stretching and fading with long-lasting freshness. It’s dye-free, perfume-free, and hypoallergenic so it’s perfect for sensitive skin. With a concentrated liquid formula that saves you money, this product works in all water temperatures to provide great performance on all your fabrics.
Downy Ultimate Fabric Conditioner
More concentrated, with a longer bottle to use, you can do your laundry many more times with less hassle. A simple twist of the nozzle and the Downy Ultimate Fabric Conditioner comes out evenly and quickly. Sinks in with less rinsing so it leaves clothes smelling of springtime breezes and freshness.
Free & Gentle Fabric Softener
Downy Ultra Plus Free & Gentle Laundry Liquid Fabric Softener with Febreze Freshness Odor Protect, 51 oz Bottles, 2 Pack. This concentrated FREE & GENTLE fabric softener is formulated with Plant Derived Minerals for a gentle clean that won’t strip clothes of their natural oils. A large load of downy plus fabric softener liquid reduces more wrinkles than detergent alone, making your laundry smell fresh and look great.
4. Downy Nature Blends Laundry Fabric Softener Liquid
Downy Nature Blends Laundry Fabric Softener Liquid, Honey Lavender, 44 Oz Bottles, 2 Pack, 104 Loads Total
- Compatible with HE and non-HE washing machines-use just a capful along with your favorite detergent
- Free of dyes and parabens, it's a gentle solution for protecting clothes
- Honey Lavender is an airy, musky with fruity and floral notes
- Downy Nature Blends Fabric Conditioner is a 70% plant-based liquid fabric softener with a touch of coconut oil. The plant-based formula helps clothes keep their natural shape
- Enjoy a USDA-certified 70% bio-based product that's gentle on sensitive skin
Downy Nature Blends Fabric Conditioner is a 70% plant-based, liquid fabric softener with a touch of coconut oil that helps keep clothes feeling soft and smelling fresh. Not only is the formula a natural alternative to traditional fabric softeners but it washes away easily in the laundry so it won’t stain your clothes.
Gently Protects Clothes
Downy Nature Blends gently protects clothes with a USDA-certified 70% bio-based fabric softener. Our premium fabric conditioner contains no dyes or parabens and has a light honey lavender fragrance that goes on delicately, infusing your laundry with a fresh scent every time you wash clothes.
Family And The Environment
Fabric Softener that’s good for both your family and the environment. It’s gentle on you and your clothes, but tough enough to tackle even the toughest dirt and stains. Once you try it, you’ll wonder how you ever got along without Downy Nature Blends Fabric Softener Liquid.
5. ARM & Hammer Fabric Softener Sheets, Free of Perfumes and Dyes
ARM & HAMMER Fabric Softener Sheets, Free of Perfumes and Dyes, 100 ct
- Softens clothes
- ARM & HAMMER Fabric Softener Sheets, 100 sheets, Free of Perfumes and Dyes
- Free of Perfumes and Dyes
- Reduces static cling
- 100 Sheets
ARM & HAMMER Fabric Softener Sheets are fragrance-free, leaving clothes smelling fresh without perfume, dyes, or fabric softeners. They provide long-lasting freshness to your laundry, providing naturally soft and brightening whites. Enriched with baking soda for powerful grease-fighting.
Eliminates Tough Odors
Arm & Hammer Fabric Softener Sheets are free of perfumes and dyes! These sheets reduce static cling, leaving your clothes smelling fresh and feeling soft to the touch. Eliminates tough odors, even after repeated use. Made with less perfume and non-dye, so it’s safe for all colors and fabrics.
Free Of Perfumes And Dyes
ARM & HAMMER Fabric Softener Sheets, 100 sheets, Free of Perfumes and Dyes are formulated with natural plant-based softening agents that won’t irritate your skin or those of your family. Each pad contains a time-released perfume and dye-free formula that leaves your laundry smelling like a crisp clean day at the beach.
6. all Liquid Fabric Softener, Free Clear for Sensitive Skin
all Liquid Fabric Softener, Free Clear for Sensitive Skin, 48 Fluid Ounces, 60 Loads
- Leave your fabrics feeling soft and comfortable against sensitive skin with this hypoallergenic, fragrance free fabric softener
- All free clear is the #1 recommended detergent brand by Dermatologists Allergists and Pediatricians for sensitive skin
- Use with all Free Clear laundry detergent and dryer sheets for clean and soft clothes with static cling reduction in the dryer
- This bottle contains 48-ounces, enough for 60 loads
- Plus, it's safe for use in standard and HE machines
This liquid fabric softener left your fabrics feeling soft and comfortable against sensitive skin. This hypoallergenic, fragrance-free fabric softener is perfect for people with allergies to perfumes and other fragrances. It is also great for those looking for a chemical-free laundry product.
Dermatologist-recommended For Sensitive Skin
100% fragrance-free and dye-free, this fabric softener is dermatologist-recommended for sensitive skin. Made by the detergent brand recommended by dermatologists for sensitive skin, it protects your clothes from fading and dulling and helps remove stubborn stains. Keep all of your family’s essentials like sheets, towels, and pajamas softly scented and clean with this hypoallergenic liquid fabric softener that works in both high-efficiency and standard washers.
Liquid Laundry Detergent
All Free & Clear Liquid Laundry Detergent is specially formulated to provide high-performance cleaning without dyes, perfumes, and optical brighteners. It is the recommended detergent brand by Dermatologists Allergists and Pediatricians for sensitive skin. This detergent is strong enough for everyday use, but gentle enough for even your most delicate fabrics.
All free clear also fights tough stains like grass and dirt from work uniforms, baby clothing, and more. In addition, it contains no bleach or fabric softeners so you can clean with confidence knowing that no residue remains on your clothes after washing.
7. Snuggle Liquid Fabric Softener, Dye Free for Sensitive Skin
Snuggle Liquid Fabric Softener, Dye Free for Sensitive Skin, 2X Concentrated, 200 Loads
- This package includes one 80-ounce bottle of Snuggle Sensitive 2x concentrated liquid fabric softener, enough for 200 loads
- Gentle on sensitive skin
- Snuggly softness and freshness
- Free of dyes
- Hypoallergenic fresh scent
Snuggle Liquid Fabric Softener, our gentle fabric softener, is hypoallergenic and dye-free. Our formula is great for use on all your family’s laundry while keeping sensitive skin safe. With a hypoallergenic fresh scent, this fabric softener is crafted to maintain the quality of your fabrics while keeping them soft and healthy.
Snuggle Liquid Fabric Softener
Enjoy the softness and freshness of Snuggle Liquid Fabric Softener with a clear formula that contains no dyes. Wash after wash, your family will enjoy the same snuggly softness that only Snuggle can offer. Easy to use; it’s safe for all fabrics, including colorfast apparel and delicate fabrics like wool, silk, and cashmere.
This package includes one 80-ounce bottle of Snuggle Sensitive 2x concentrated liquid fabric softener, enough for 200 loads. With a color-safe formula, it’s safe for all your family’s clothes and towels, but also gentle on your skin. Dye-free and hypoallergenic, this softener is an easy way to keep your family’s laundry fresh, clean, and soft—no matter their sensitivity level.
8. Botanical Origin Plant-based Fabric Softener
Botanical Origin Plant-based Fabric Softener, Hypoallergenic, Free from Parabens, Orange Blossom and Citrus Leaves scent, 2 pack of 32.46 oz (96 Loads)
- FRESHNESS AND SOFTNESS POWERED BY NATURE: Our plant-based fabric softener (71% USDA bio-based) gives your clothes the feeling of intense softness and provides long-lasting freshness. Reduces static cling, too! (Enough for 48 loads of laundry). FREE FROM DYES AND PARABENS: and no chlorine, brighteners, phosphate or artificial preservatives.
- ELEVATE YOUR CLEAN: Now you can get plant-based cleaning without compromising performance.
- SCENTS INSPIRED BY NATURE: Now you can get a hypoallergenic formula with scent, which is not always the case. Think blooming jasmine and wild lavender. A more relaxing laundry day awaits.
- MORE TO LOVE: Our fabric softener is made using 25% post-consumer recycled plastic. Formulated for all water temperatures, including cold. Works with regular washers, high-efficacy (HE) washers, and even for hand washing.
- GOOD FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Our sensitive formula is hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested.
Enjoy the ultimate softness and freshness with our plant-based fabric softener, made from 71% USDA Certified Bio-Based Material. This vegan, hypoallergenic formula effectively reduces static cling while leaving your clothes feeling soft, fresh, and smelling incredible. The best part? No dyes or parabens! Best of all, it saves you money over store-bought eco-friendly options that cost more per load.
Now you can get a hypoallergenic formula with scent, which is not always the case. Universal products are typically fragrance-free, but not always hypoallergenic. This fabric softener will make your clothes feel soft and smell great while going easy on sensitive skin. You won’t have to worry about allergies or reactions with this plant-based formula.
Our sensitive formula is hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, and designed specifically for sensitive skin. With a long list of plant-based ingredients, this plant-based fabric softener does not strip your clothes or create an artificial scent. Safe for any laundry machine on the market, this plant-based fabric softener is a fresh, light-feeling alternative to traditional softeners.
9. FREY Natural Liquid Fabric Softener – 2 Pack
FREY Natural Liquid Fabric Softener - 2 Pack, Fabric Conditioner Keeps Clothing Looking, Feeling and Smelling Better (Bold & Sweet Fragrance)
- WE LOVE SOFT CLOTHES – FREY’s Fabric Conditioner is the perfect complement to our liquid laundry detergent for incredibly soft clothes.
- BUY 3 GET 25% OFF, BUY 2 GET 15% OFF - Use Promo Code FREYSAVE at checkout.
- SAFER FOR YOU AND THE ENVIRONMENT - FREY’s natural fabric softener is blended with biodegradable, natural ingredients.
- LONG LASTING LARGE 16 OUNCE BOTTLE – Unlike other liquid fabric softeners, FREY’s concentrated fabric softener will last 50 loads.
- PERFECT FOR ALL CLOTHING TYPES – Our laundry softener removes all the unwanted smells that commonly cause body odor and makes old and worn out clothes softer! FREY’s laundry softener is ideal for everyday laundry, including cottons, linens, blends, and durable synthetics.
FREY’s Liquid Fabric Conditioner is a gentle, effective way to add softness and odor elimination to your wash. Our formula effectively softens clothes without the use of potentially harmful chemicals. It’s perfect for environmentally-conscious consumers or anyone looking for an alternative to harsh fabric conditioners that might irritate sensitive skin.
Liquid Fabric Softener
Unlike other liquid fabric softeners, FREY’s concentrated liquid fabric softener will last 50 loads. FREY’s concentrated liquid fabric softener is safe to use in all washing machines and is individually wrapped for ease of use. This product is recommended by the Alzheimer Society of Canada & the Alzheimer Society of Ontario.
Commonly Cause Body Odor
FREY laundry softener removes all the unwanted smells that commonly cause body odor and makes old and worn-out clothes softer! Our soap-free formula works in both top and front-loading machines. It is ideal for everyday laundry, including cotton, linens, blends, and durable synthetics.
10. The Laundress – Fabric Conditioner, No. 10, Liquid Fabric Softener
The Laundress - Fabric Conditioner, No. 10, Liquid Fabric Softener, Allergen-Free Laundry Fabric Softener Liquid, Non-Toxic Liquid Softener Formula, 16 fl oz, 16 washes white
- NATURAL FABRIC SOFTENER - Coupled with our allergen-free, plant-derived fabric softener, this formula decreases drying time, reduces wrinkles, and eliminates static cling. The perfect complement to our No. 10 Laundry Detergent.
- FABRIC SOFTENER MINUS THE TOXINS - Free of petroleum, phosphate, phthalates, and artificial color, this classic antistatic spray for clothes keeps you and your clothes healthy.
- No. 10 SCENTED - This rich and sophisticated fragrance blends sultry spice and fresh powder notes with warm musk to round out the provocative, original accord.
- CRUELTY-FREE - The Laundress takes pride in the fact that our products contain no animal by-products and are never tested on animals.
- FLUFFS AND SOFTENS FABRICS - Fluff and soften with this plant-derived fabric softener designed to be the perfect complement to our detergents. Developed with a perfumer over a span of two years, No. 10 meets the standards of a luxury fine fragranceâ€”designed with clothing care in mind.
The Laundress Fabric Softener No. 10 is designed to be the perfect complement to your laundry detergent, and our first formula of liquid fabric softener. Developed with a perfumer over two years, this fine fragrance meets the standards of a luxury fragrance designed with clothing care in mind.
Increase Softness And Reduce Wrinkles
Specially formulated for use with the Laundress No. 10 Detergent, this fabric softener is made from allergen-free and plant-derived ingredients to increase softness and reduce wrinkles. Coupled with our plant-derived fabric softener, this formula decreases drying time, eliminates static cling, restores luster to laundry, and makes ironing easier.
The Laundress Fabric Conditioner No. 10 is a rich, sophisticated fragrance made up of sultry spice and fresh powder notes that combine with warm musk to complete this provocative and original accord. Add just one ounce to your wash cycle for soft, luxuriantly-smelling clothes that you’ll look forward to wearing.
What To Consider When Choosing The Best Fabric Softener For Sensitive Skin
kinds of Skin
The sensitivity of your family’s and your own skin should be taken into consideration when choosing a fabric softener or conditioner.
Products with low allergen levels are beneficial for those with sensitive skin. Families with sensitive skin should also be sure to buy products that have undergone dermatological testing.
The sizes of fabric conditioners and softeners vary widely. If your family washes a lot, purchasing larger bottles or refill packs will save you money. Purchasing fabric softeners in bulk is a wise choice because they have no expiration date and some businesses offer cheaper costs for larger purchases.
Among the many scents available are vanilla, coconut, and apple blossom. Choose your preferred scents, then hunt for a fabric softener that has those scent-related ingredients. There is also a fragrance-free option available.
By buying larger bottles or in bulk, as was previously said, you might be able to save money. Natural fabric softeners can cost more than ones made of chemicals, yet harsh chemicals can irritate the skin.
Is Fabric Softener The Same As Fabric Conditioner?
No, fabric conditioners and fabric softeners are not interchangeable. Although they are frequently used interchangeably, “fabric softener” and “fabric conditioner” refer to two different but connected goods.
Following the use of fabric softeners, your garments will feel and smell better (which can be optional as some are fragrance-free). Fabric conditioners, which may also have a scent, minimize static cling, color fading, snagging, and stretching.
For clothing that feels staticky or that needs to be shielded from stretching and fading after washing and drying, fabric conditioners are required. To ensure that clothes don’t feel stiff after washing and drying, fabric softeners are required.
Frequently Asked Question
What Can I Use Instead Of Fabric Softener?
Making your own natural fabric softener is possible using materials from your kitchen pantry. The recipe only needs water, baking soda, and vinegar; a few drops of essential oils can be added if preferred. Add one part vinegar, then whisk well (ex: one-half cup).
What Fabric Softener Is Best For Eczema?
To clean my laundry, I use Tide Free & Gentle, Clorox 2 Free & Clear, Clorox Gentle Bleach, free & clear dryer sheets, and free & clear fabric softener. Purex Natural Elements is the best option for us. I twice rinse in addition to using dryer sheets.
Can Someone Be Allergic To Fabric Softeners?
One of the most hazardous fabric softener preservatives is glutaral, which has been connected to asthma and skin problems.
Can I Be Allergic To Fabric Softener?
The symptoms of a fabric softener allergy include itchy eyes and a runny nose. The most typical sign is a rash called contact dermatitis, but other symptoms include sneezing, coughing, and breathing problems.
Why You Should Not Use Fabric Softener?
The most hazardous fabric softener preservatives are glutaral and methylisothiazolinone, which have been connected to skin conditions and asthma. Glutaraldehyde is toxic to aquatic life (or glutaraldehyde). Studies on the toxicity of D&C Violet 2 have linked it to cancer.
Softness and scent aside, the most important thing to look for when buying fabric softener is to avoid those that contain dyes or perfumes. If you’re really worried about your skin, the Seventh Generation option is by far the best out there, but if the fragrance isn’t a deal-breaker for you, any of these three products will offer you soft clothes without the worry of dyes and perfumes.