A healthy heart is the most important organ in our body. Proper diet and exercise, along with non-herbal supplements are vital to keeping it strong. One of the best supplements you could take is an evening primrose oil supplement. These supplements have been shown to help people with hypertension, high cholesterol, and other heart problems. We researched 143 different supplements to assess their purity, potency, and overall effectiveness.
Our Editor’s Choice
What Is Evening Primrose Oil?
Evening Primrose Oil is extracted from a species of flowering plant in the family Onagraceae, common in North America. Due to its Gamma-Linolenic Acid component, a plant-based Omega-6 fatty acid, it has been used for a variety of medicinal purposes as well as a dietary and health supplement.
Best Evening Primrose Oil Reviews:
1. Sports Research Evening Primrose Oil
|Recommended Uses For Product||Skin Health|
|Diet Type||Gluten Free|
Sports Research Evening Primrose Oil softgels are a natural, sustainable and vegetarian source of gamma linolenic acid (GLA). Evening primrose oil is cold-pressed from the flower of the evening primrose plant. This oil is a rich source of GLA, an omega-6 essential fatty acid that is required in human nutrition but cannot be made by the body. GLA may help maintain healthy skin and a balanced immune response.
- 1300mg of Cold-Pressed Evening Primrose Oil with 10% GLA per liquid softgel.
- May help to Maintain Healthy Skin & A Balanced Immune Response.*
- Non-GMO Verified and formulated Without Hexane, Gluten, Soy, Artificial Colorings, Stearates Or Titanium Dioxide.
- Note: Some individuals consuming oil supplements may experience stomach discomfort. Please make sure to take Evening Primrose Oil with food.
- If you don’t see results within 90 days, simply return your product for a refund. Please see below for details.
2. OmniBiotics Organic Evening Primrose Oil
|Special Ingredients||Evening Primrose|
|Recommended Uses For Product||Anti-Inflammatory, Skin Health|
Unfortunately on the market today, there are few options in regard to organic primrose oil. It was important to us to create a product that was maximum potency and maximum purity. Our organic Evening Primrose Oil features a maximum potency of 1,500 mg per serving, standardized to 10% GLA. As with all of our products, we utilized the highest quality ingredients available and used state-of-the-art extraction methods to ensure superior bioavailability and effectiveness.
Experience what a truly organic, maximum potency Evening Primrose Oil can do for your body, and see why so many people are choosing OmniBiotics.
LAB-VERIFIED FOR STRENGTH AND PURITY
Consistent with all OmniBiotics supplements, our Evening Primrose Oil is lab-tested both at the raw ingredient level and upon completion to ensure maximum purity. Purity and potency should never be sacrificed in a supplement…There is no reason to buy any supplement that uses chemicals, additives, or fillers. With OmniBiotics, you never have to worry.
BACKED BY CLINICAL RESEARCH
Primrose has been used for centuries to support a wide range of functions in the body. It has even been traditionally referred to as the “King’s Cure All” due to the belief that its “majestic” benefits and “honorable” properties made it fit for kings and queens to apply medicinally. Modern clinical research also has shown a range of benefits for your skin, hair, metabolism, and much more. Find out why so many women consider evening primrose oil to be a vital supplement to support female health.
Hormonal Balance & Female Health
Evening primrose oil is one of the most popular female health supplements and with good reason – it can help with hormone balance, PMS relief, menopause relief, hot flashes, and menstrual discomfort. Supplementing with primrose oil can help support beauty and female health at the same time.
Help Reduce Pain & Inflammation
Many people are negatively affected by pain caused by inflammation. It can create physical discomfort and stress in our lives. Because Evening Primrose Oil is rich in fatty acids like GLA, it can help to reduce inflammation. Many people use Evening Primrose Oil for nerve pain, as studies have shown it to be an effective option for sufferers.
- ORGANIC & PURE – Our Evening Primrose Oil is cold-pressed from organic evening primrose seeds so that you get the purest product possible. Each serving contains 1,500mg of evening primrose oil and 150mg of GLA (Gamma-Linolenic Acid) for maximum strength. No other primrose oil supplement compares.
- HELPS MAINTAIN HEALTHY SKIN, HAIR, & IMMUNE SYSTEM – Evening primrose oil promotes healthy-looking skin and hair, and may help people with acne as well as other skin disorders. OmniBiotics Evening Primrose Oil softgels are standardized to contain 10% GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), an essential fatty acid that helps strengthen cell structure and immunity to support healthy skin and hair.
- HORMONAL BALANCE & FEMALE SUPPORT – Evening Primrose Oil can help support hormone balance in women. Primrose oil also supports other aspects of female health and is commonly used for PMS relief, menopause relief, hot flashes, menstrual discomfort, and even breast pain.
- HELPS FIGHT INFLAMMATION – Because Evening Primrose Oil is rich in fatty acids like GLA it can offer natural relief for pain and inflammation. People often use OmniBiotics organic primrose oil supplement for reducing joint pain and improving morning stiffness.
- 100% NATURAL, NON-GMO, NO BINDERS or ADDITIVES – Our clinical-strength organic Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) is 100% natural and free of: gluten, soy, nuts, dairy, sugar, animal by-products, artificial ingredients, chemicals, preservatives and fillers. You get pure, high quality ingredients and nothing else. All manufacturing is done within the USA in a NSF-certified, cGMP facility.
3. NOW Supplements, Evening Primrose Oil
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Unit Count||250 Count|
|Item Weight||0.23 Kilograms|
NOW Evening Primrose Oil has naturally occurring gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an omega-6 fatty acid also found in borage and black currant seed oils. Although the body can synthesize GLA from other dietary fats, it can be more efficiently utilized for bodily functions when consumed in its preformed state.* By supporting the body’s healthy immune system responses, GLA may help to maintain normal skin barrier function, as well as a healthy vascular system.* Natural color variation may occur in this product. Take 3 softgels daily with food.
- Servings Per Container 83
- Not manufactured with yeast, wheat, gluten, soy, corn, milk, egg, fish or shellfish ingredients. Produced in a GMP facility that processes other ingredients containing these allergens.
- Natural color variation may occur in this product.
- By supporting the body’s healthy immune system responses, GLA may help to maintain normal skin barrier function, as well as a healthy vascular system
- Healthy Skin
- Balanced Immune Response
- Support for Mild PMS Discomfort
4. Zeal Naturals Evening Primrose Oil Capsules150 Liquid Softgels
|Special Ingredients||Evening Primrose|
|Recommended Uses For Product||Hormone Balance|
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
The oil from primrose has been used in many traditions and cultures throughout the years. Its benefits may be due to its gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) content. GLA is an omega-6 fatty acid found in plant oils. Evening primrose oil with GLA may support the body’s ability to manage hormonal changes and imbalances, improve skin clarity, and lighten symptoms related to PMS.
Hormone Balance for Women
Zeal Naturals Evening Primrose Oil Softgels vitamins can be helpful in supporting the body’s ability to manage hormone changes and aging.
Evening Primrose Oil may offer menopause support by reducing the length and intensity of hot flashes.
For Skin Vitality
The GLA in evening primrose oil can help some skin conditions, like acne, by reducing skin swelling and supporting systems that help the skin retain moisture, elasticity, firmness, and fatigue resistance.
Women’s PMS Support
Evening Primrose Oil supplements can support the body’s ability to deal with the irritability, bloating, cramps, and moodiness.
The Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA) in Evening Primrose Oil capsules converts to a substance in the body that is thought to help prevent prolactin from triggering PMS.
- Evening Primrose Oil – Made with 1300 mg of premium evening primrose oil with maximum strength 10% GLA, Zeal Naturals Primrose Oil Softgels are the perfect supplement to support women and hormonal balance.
- Non-Gmo. Lab Tested. GMP Practices – This Evening Primrose Oil 1300 mg is made with the highest quality Non-Gmo evening primrose oil
- Excellent Source of Fatty Acids to Support Hormone Balance* – Containing omega-6 fatty acids, GLA from evening primrose oil is known to support overall hormone function for women*
- Support Skin – Evening primrose oil may help promote a proper balance of fatty acids to help strengthen cell structure, to support clear skin.
5. Nature’s Way EfaGold Evening Primrose Oil
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Unit Count||120 Count|
|Item Weight||0.53 Pounds|
gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) from non-GMO seeds. GLA is an important Omega-6 essential fatty acid that must be obtained in your everyday diet. Cold pressed, unrefined, and zero trans fat. The packaging received may be slightly different but the product inside remains the same.
- Cold-pressed and unrefined.
- Max strength formula.** (Compared to 500 mg formula.)
- No chemical solvents, starch, or artificial colors.
6. Nature’s Bounty Primrose Oil Pills
|Special Ingredients||Evening Primrose|
|Recommended Uses For Product||Boost Energy|
At Nature’s Bounty, we are committed to your health. For nearly 50 years we have been making trusted products, backed by science, and made with only the purest ingredients…assured. So you can get the most out of life every day. Our dedication to quality, consistency, and scientific research has resulted in vitamins and supplements of unrivaled excellence.
Driving Innovation through Scientific Expertise
Our Scientific Advisory Council is made up of prominent scientists and researchers external to The Nature’s Bounty Co., who play a key role in the Company’s product innovation and scientific advancement. It is comprised of some of the most respected medical and nutrition experts in the field.
Quality You Can Count On
Every Nature’s Bounty product is subjected to numerous quality tests and assays throughout the manufacturing process to verify purity and full potency.
Don’t Just Take Our Word For It
We’re proud that our facilities have been successfully audited by the United States Pharmacopeia and STR (Specialized Technology Resources), a leading independent dietary supplement quality evaluation firm.
- Promotes women’s health
- Helps support nutritional health
- May help with dry skin
- Free of Hexane and all other solvent residues
- These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration
- Packaging may vary due to redesign, same great product ingredients
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations, when provided.
- 60 softgels
- Dietary supplement
- Helps promote women’s health
- A natural source of the unsaturated fatty acid, Gamma-Linolenic acid
7. Pure Encapsulations – E.P.O. (Evening Primrose Oil)
|Age Range (Description)||Adult|
|Unit Count||100.00 Count|
|Item Weight||0.25 Pounds|
Pure Encapsulations E.P.O. (Evening Primrose Oil) is a source of essential fatty acids with an excellent omega 6/omega 3 balance. Like all Pure Encapsulations products, it is formulated to provide optimal absorption of nutrients through a proprietary process that allows for controlled and consistent release in the body. E.P.O. is also safe for children and adults with gluten sensitivity, as it does not contain any gluten-containing ingredients.
The Truest Quality
What makes us different is the promise of goodness that goes into every one of our supplements. We take high standards seriously, which is why we’re the #1 most recommended professional supplement brand, ranked highest in quality and trust.^ ^Among brands surveyed, Nutrition Business Journal 2016, 2020, Kaiser Associates 2014.
Good from Start to Finish
When developing our products, we work in close collaboration with leading medical professionals and nutritional experts to create premium dietary supplements that you can feel good about. Our high-quality ingredients are backed by science with many of our formulations being included in more than 50 product-specific clinical studies in leading peer-reviewed journals.
Goodness at our Core
Pure Encapsulations was built with the purest of hearts and a plan to improve the wellness and wellbeing of others. This heartfelt commitment now extends to the planet as we move forward in sustainability initiatives and continue to support incredible organizations dedicated to leading the charge for a greener future.
- Healthy Skin Support: Used for centuries as nutritional support for a wide range of physiological functions, several studies have indicated that E.P.O. may help support the look and feel of healthy skin.*
- Antioxidant Support: Other studies suggest that E.P.O. may support healthy lipid metabolism and may provide oxidative protection by promoting glutathione reductase and transferase activities.*
- Premenstrual Comfort Support: Additionally, E.P.O. may potentially be supportive of premenstrual comfort.*
- Pure Quality: Our supplements are made with only premium ingredients sourced from trusted suppliers and guided by our nutritional experts, then carefully manufactured and tested to verify their potency and purity.
- Pure Difference: What makes us different isn’t just our process or what goes into our supplements — what we leave out matters, too. Pure Encapsulations products are FREE FROM wheat, eggs, tree nuts & peanuts, gluten, artificial colors, flavors & sweeteners, coatings and shellacs, GMOs, and unnecessary binders, fillers & preservatives.
Evening Primrose Oil Benefits
The major benefit of Evening Primrose Oil Blend comes from its omega-6 fatty acid component. Here are the common benefits associated with EPO:
- It can help with the synthesis of prostaglandins which is essential for the proper functioning of cells.
- It can help with skin health, dry skin, and clearing up acne.
- It may help ease symptoms of eczema.
- It may help relieve symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) such as irritability and bloating.
- It can help with severe breast pain during menstruation.
- It may help reduce bone pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
What to know before you buy evening primrose oil
Capsules vs. liquid
Best evening primrose oil comes in capsules or in liquid form. If you intend to take your evening primrose oil orally, capsules are generally the best option because the oil is contained within the tablet so you don’t have to taste it. What’s more, it’s already portioned out into the correct dosage, so there’s no need to worry about accidentally taking too little or too much.
Bottles of liquid evening primrose oil are a great option if you want to use evening primrose oil topically for issues such as acne or eczema or for its general moisturizing properties. You can use evening primrose oil on your skin undiluted, which is the best choice for medicinal uses. Alternatively, if you simply want a moisturizing boost, you can mix it with other oils and plant butter — such as shea butter or cocoa butter — in homemade skincare products. However, if your chosen liquid evening primrose oil is listed as therapeutic grade, it’s only suitable for topical use, while food-grade evening primrose oil can be used topically or taken orally.
Strength and dosage
If you buy evening primrose oil in capsules, it will list the strength per dose in milligrams. Most have strengths of between 500-and 1,500 milligrams per dose. It’s best to start at a dose of around 500 milligrams and work your way up if you don’t notice the effects. Some people safely take as much as 6,000 milligrams per day.
Servings per pack
You might think that the number of servings per pack is the same as the number of capsules per pack, but this isn’t always the case. Also consider how many capsules a serving is, as this can sometimes be misleading. The listed dose can be made up of 2-4 capsules in some cases, so you get fewer servings than capsules.
What to look for in quality evening primrose oil
Some capsules contain gelatin from animal sources, but this makes them unsuitable for vegetarians and vegans and potentially those who follow kosher or halal diets. However, you can find gelatin-free capsules, which get around this issue.
If you prefer to stick to an organic diet, you can find plenty of evening primrose oil supplements that are USDA-certified organic.
Good manufacturing practice certification
Supplements that are GMP-certified have been independently verified to meet certain manufacturing standards. This means you can be sure your supplements are produced in a sanitary way and that the laboratory and testing methods are up to scratch.
How much you can expect to spend on evening primrose oil
You can spend anywhere between $10-$50 on evening primrose oil, depending on the package size, potency and overall quality.
FAQs: Best evening primrose oil
Is it OK to take evening primrose oil every day?
A. Evening primrose oil is probably safe for regular use by adults, according to the National Institutes of Health. The term “probably” might sound worrying, but all this means is that science doesn’t tend to deal in absolutes. No studies have found any ill effects from evening primrose oil and it’s generally well-tolerated with few side effects. Some users find they suffer from gastrointestinal issues when taking evening primrose oil, such as bloating and stomach upset. If you experience these issues, you may wish to discontinue use.
Who shouldn’t take evening primrose oil?
A. According to the Mayo Clinic, people with bleeding disorders or who are due to have surgery within the next two weeks shouldn’t take evening primrose oil. Its safety in children and pregnant people isn’t determined, so it’s best to avoid using it in these cases. It can also increase the risk of seizures in people with epilepsy and it interacts with a small handful of drugs, including lopinavir and ritonavir taken to treat HIV. If you’re taking any medication, check with your doctor or look online to make sure evening primrose oil doesn’t interact with it.
We hope that this article has given you sufficient information so that you have the right product. Despite the many products on the market, the best evening primrose oil is a proven winner time and time again. It has many health benefits and side effects because its weight to side effect ratio works faster than other treatment methods.