Nowadays, people are more camera-conscious than ever before. The craze of capturing all the moments and sharing on social media platforms has become a norm. We see not just our friends but even strangers clicking pictures to capture their special moments like vacations, parties, etc. As a result, we have cameras in every pocket that can help us capture the moments wherever we go.
The best thing about cameras is that they have evolved from bulky ones to more compact and sophisticated ones in a short period. Even the markets are flooded with more advanced cameras with some fantastic features like HD recording capability, Wi-Fi connectivity for instant uploading, etc. We can find some good options easily under $500. With so many camera options, the question that arises is what is the best 4k camera under 500?
Our Favorite 4k Camera Under $500
Top 6 Best 4K Camera Under $500 Reviews
1. AKASO EK7000 4K30FPS 4K Action Camera
Akaso is a reputed brand that has made its mark in the camera market. It provides easy-to-use cameras without compromising on quality and performance. This best 4k camera under 500 is no exception when it comes to offering great value for money.
It supports 4k video recording and comes with a waterproof case which has been rated IP68. It means that the camera can work in up to 9 feet deep waters (for about 30 minutes). The rubber cover protects the device from any kind of shock and water damage. To add on, it is also dustproof, meaning that it can withstand any harsh conditions.
The camera has an ultra-wide 170 degrees angle lens which is great for those action shots and anything you see. It also helps in capturing the entire picture without worrying about missing out on some portion of it.
The remote control that comes with the camera helps you to operate the device from a distance. The battery of 1050mAh is long-lasting and can work for about 2 hours of continuous use, even in 4K filming. You will also get a 16GB memory card along with the package which further adds to your convenience.
- Waterproof case: This feature helps ensure up to 98ft waterproof.
- Large aperture and wide-angle: The Vivid recording with wide-angle and large aperture offers a tremendous underwater experience, a perfect tool for diving and surfing lovers.
- Color: Black, White
- Battery capacity: 1200mAh
- Screen size: 2.0 Inch
- Max resolution: 1920×1080P
- Frame rate: 30fps (MPEG-4 AVC)
- Convenient operation: easy to use, allows you to capture every wonderful life moment at any time.
- Lightweight and compact design: extremely portable without sacrificing quality.
- Super macro function enables taking photos from a very close distance without losing the details.
- Create amazing videos in 4K/30fps Ultra HD resolution, which is four times more than 1080P.
- 4K resolution gives much more detail than Full HD 1080p, and it is compatible with high-end 4K TVs.
- No WIFI: only supports micro USB data charging cable. No support Wifi, no possibility to connect with smartphone or tablet. But the brand promises its new products will be wifi-enabled soon.
2. Panasonic LUMIX FZ80 4K Digital Camera
The first 4k camera you can consider is the Panasonic Lumix FZ80. This camera comes with a 20 megapixels sensor. It also has an ultra-wide-angle lens which makes it perfect for capturing scenery and landscape shots.
It records video in 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) at 30 frames per second. This makes it an ideal video camera for post-production. It also has a built-in GPS, which means you can tag your photographs and videos with their taken location.
- GPS: This camera has a built-in GPS. You can tag your photos and videos with their corresponding location using this feature.
- Camera Durability: Because of its magnesium alloy casing, this camera is pretty sturdy. It can survive a fall from 1 meter high without any damage.
- Camera Design: The camera was designed to be handled easily. The grip is comfortable and the buttons are reachable with just one hand. This makes it a very convenient camera to bring around when you’re traveling or hiking.
- Speed and Performance: When it comes to speed, some moving objects may get blurry but this can be fixed by using a tripod. Other than that, the camera performs exceptionally well. In addition to this, it can record full HD videos at 30 frames per second.
- 3840 x 2160 video recording
- USB charging
- The camera is relatively cheap given its features.
- The camera can take photos indoors and at night, thanks to its pop-up flash.
- You can send your photos directly from your camera to your tablet or phone due to the built-in wifi.
- Top-notch images guarantee
- Breathtaking speed and performance
- The biggest limitation of this camera is its battery life which only lasts for about 90 minutes. If the battery runs out, you won’t be able to take more photos.
3. GoPro HERO8 Black 4K Ultra HD Camera
If you are looking for an action camera, then the GoPro HERO8 Black is a good choice. This camera comes with voice controls and GPS tagging features. It also has a touchscreen display, which means you can operate it hands-free. The video quality of this 4K camera is impressive; it records in 4K at 30 frames per second.
This best 4k camera under 500 comes with a 2″ touchscreen display, with touch-to-focus and face detection features. It also has voice control capability, which means you can operate it hands-free.
The video quality of this camera is fantastic and captures stunning landscapes in 4K. This camera has a 1/2″ sensor capable of recording in RAW and 1080p live streaming capacity.
- Camera Design: The camera grip is comfortable and the buttons are reachable with just one hand. This makes it a very convenient camera to bring around when you’re traveling or hiking.
- Camera Durability: This is a rugged camera and can take more than normal abuse. It comes with an all-weather case which makes it suitable for outdoor expeditions such as biking, skiing, and surfing.
- Location tagging: This is also included in this camera, which helps add your position to the recorded video.
- 1080p live streaming
- 12MP photos
- HyperSmooth 2.0
- TimeWarp 2.0
- The video quality is amazing and captures stunning landscapes in 4K.
- Digital image stabilization makes your videos buttery smooth while minimizing the shake and vibration in your shots while you’re enjoying yourself outdoors.
- The camera touchscreen makes it easy to operate even when you wear gloves or use your phone in cold weather.
- You can attach an external microphone for higher-quality audio recordings if you want to record sound while shooting video.
- The battery life is only about an hour which means you may have to recharge or replace them quite often if you are doing extreme sports such as surfing, biking, or skiing.
4. Kingslim4D 4K Dash Camera
If you are looking for a cheap best 4k camera under 500, here is an option worth considering; the Kingslim D4. This video camera comes with 170-degree and 140-degree fisheye lenses.
It has a 2″ built-in screen, which makes it easy to wrap your head around the operation of this 4K camera. To add more to its features, it has built-in WiFi and GPS connectivity which lets you record videos even if your phone is not handy.
The video quality of this 4K camera is amazing; it records at 30 frames per second in both 4K and 2.5K resolutions.
The video recording capability of this 4K camera is a bit low as you can only record up to 30 frames per second in 2K and 1080p resolution respectively. So if you are looking for an action camera with stunning video quality then the GoPro HERO6 Black or GoPro HERO7 Black will be better options to consider.
- Camera Design: The camera is well-built and solid, with a sleek design. It’s built for outdoor use and is shockproof to protect it from outside elements such as wet weather conditions or getting sand on it while using the beach.
- Camera Durability: This 4k camera comes with an anti-glare coating which makes this cam compact and resistant to water, dust, and sand.
- Integrated screen: The camera is easy to use even when you are wearing gloves or using your phone in the cold weather as it has a 2″ integrated screen which makes operation very convenient.
- Touchscreen Display
- 2″ IPS Touchscreen LCD.
- 4K and 2.5k Video Recording
- 30 frames per second for both 4K and 2.5K resolutions.
- 1080p videos at 60fps.
- The video quality of this 4K camera is amazing.
- The anti-glare coating makes this camera compact and resistant to water, dust, and sand.
- This camera has GPS capabilities and allows you to record videos even if your phone is not handy.
- It has a 2″ integrated screen which makes operation very convenient.
- The video recording capability of this 4k camera is low as you can only record up to 30 frames per second in 2K and 1080p resolution respectively.
5. S & P Safe and Perfect 4K Video Camera 48MP Image
There are times when you might want to record a video but don’t have your phone handy. The S & P Safe and Perfect 4K Video Camera will come in hand in such instances.
This camera has built-in WiFi and GPS connectivity features that allow it to sync with your smartphone to let you control it even without your phone.
It has a 1/2.3″ CMOS sensor which is great for capturing live video in low-light conditions. Considering that this 4k camera is meant for use when you are on the go, it does not come with a touchscreen display.
This 4K camera has 1080p footage recording capability and also comes with an NFC connectivity feature. It is waterproof and can go up to 30 meters deep without any extra case or protection.
- 4K Video Recording with 48MP Image: Records 4k video at high resolution and come with a 1/2.3″ CMOS sensor which is great for capturing live videos in low light conditions.
- Time-Lapse & Loop Recording Modes: This feature makes it ideal for capturing long periods of video in a short amount of time.
- WiFi, NFC, GPS & Waterproof (up to 10 meters deep): With built-in WiFi, NFC, and GPS connectivity, you can sync with your smartphone and get remote control capabilities.
- 4K Video Recording at 30 fps
- In 4K resolution, it records video at the rate of 30 frames per second.
- WiFi, NFC & GPS Connectivity
- The integrated WiFi and GPS connectivity
- Compact design
- This 4k camera is waterproof and can go up to 10 meters deep without any extra case or protection.
- The loop recording mode and time-lapse recording feature make it ideal for capturing live videos in low light conditions.
- The video quality is great and there are no cases of unsharp images.
- The touchscreen display makes the video recording process easier.
- The price is also quite affordable as compared to similar cameras on the market.
- This camera does not come with any memory card for storage purposes.
6. Kicteck Ultra HD Digital 4K Camera 60FPS
If you are looking for a 4K camera with GPS connectivity then the Kicteck will be perfect for you.
This one of the best 4k cameras under 500 comes with WiFi and GPS connectivity features, making it easy to record videos even when your phone is not handy.
This camera records video in 4K resolution at 30 frames per second. It has a 1/2″ CMOS image sensor.
This camera comes with both WiFi and GPS connectivity features which means you can control it even when you are not near it. The video resolution of this 4K action camera is 1080p at 30 frames per second; this makes it a great camera for capturing fast-paced activities, such as riding a bike.
The image quality is also good with the 48MP image sensor, especially in low light conditions.
This 4K action camera can record videos at both 2160p and 1920p HD resolutions. It has an external microphone port and comes with built-in WiFi; however, its camera does not have GPS connectivity.
- Waterproof, Shockproof, and Dustproof: The Kicteck’s casing has been made waterproof up to 40 meters, shockproof up to 2 meters, and dustproof too.
- Dome Lens: The camera comes with a 160-degree wide-angle lens which makes it capable of recording videos even when you are quite far away.
- WiFi and GPS Connectivity: This camera is WiFi-enabled, meaning you can connect to it through your phone’s browser. It also comes with a GPS feature for tagging the location of the videos.
- Foldable Design: The camera’s design can be adjusted as per your needs. Also, its compact design makes it easy to carry around.
- External Microphone Support: You can connect an external microphone with this action camera using a 3.5mm jack or RCA cable.
- Wifi Password Protection: The WiFi password of the camera is protected using a password. This feature makes the connection secure.
- Storage: Supports Micro SD/TF card up to 32GB, without card
- Battery: 1050mAh lithium-ion battery.
- GPS: Built in GPS function with location stamp
- WiFi Connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n
- Image Sensor: 1 / 2.5 CMOS image sensor for video recording
- This camera supports WiFi connectivity. The touchscreen display makes recording tasks easier.
- The video quality is great and there are no cases of unsharp images. Using this camera’s GPS feature allows you to add location data to your videos too.
- The price is also quite affordable as compared to similar cameras on the market.
- The camera does not have any internal storage and you will have to invest in a micro SD card separately.
Best 4K Camera Under $500 Buying Guide
Now that you have in mind some options to consider, let’s find out the factors to take into account before making your decision about the best 4k camera under $500.
Type of the camera
Not all cameras have the same features and performance. There are two main types of 4k cameras to choose from:
Fixed lens cameras
A fixed-lens 4K camera captures shots using a single lens, usually with a high definition of 2160p (4K) resolution. The 3D effect is also supported by these cameras. Fixed lens cameras are very versatile and convenient, as you can easily stack them in your pocket. The only downside to a fixed-lens camera is that you won’t be able to zoom out while trying to take a shot.
Zoom lenses cameras
A zoom lens 4K camera comes with several lenses, which enables the user to capture shots from a distance. This kind of camera is widely used in documentaries because it offers the freedom to shoot close-ups and long-range shots. The zoom lens generally varies between 18mm, 25mm, and 30mm.
Most 4K cameras come with 32GB internal storage capacity, which can store up to 8 hours of 4K footage.
In the case, you are a professional cameraman and intend to shoot 10 or more hours of video per week, then I highly recommend buying the best 4K camera under 500 with a larger storage capacity than 32GB. These cameras have SD card expansion slots that allow for memory cards up to 2TB.
Some 4K cameras have Bluetooth features that allow you to transfer files wirelessly. Others are connected to the internet via Wi-Fi, which means you can stream live videos from wherever you are. In addition, 4K cameras usually come with remote control for easy navigation and shot framing.
Some 4K cameras have an internal memory card reader and are compatible with a wide range of SD cards. Others can also be controlled remotely using your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Battery life and power source
The battery life of 4K cameras is different from one another because some use built-in rechargeable Li-Ion batteries while others require AA batteries to operate. Some cameras come with a carrying case that also serves as a battery charger.
LCD screen and viewfinder
The display screens on 4K cameras usually range from 2.7-inches to 3.5-inches in size, and each of them has different resolutions. There are two types of viewfinder: optical viewfinder (OVF) or electronic viewfinder (EVF). The EVFs are found on high-end cameras that help you see how to get the ideal shot.
How to Use a 4K Camera
1. Using the camera for the first time
Turn on the camera, move to shoot mode, and set it in a position that is comfortable for you. Set up your frame of reference so you can always remember where your beginning point was (you can even mark the spot with tape).
2. Setting your exposure using live view
The first thing that needs to be done is set your frame of reference (where the light meter starts reading) to the spot we marked at the beginning of step 1.
A good way to get accurate exposure is by using a gray card. Remember, if you don’t have a gray card handy, any type of medium-neutral-toned object will work as well (it just might be harder to remember).
After setting your frame of reference, take a photo with your camera. Remember where the “0” (sunny side) is and set it accordingly for every shot, if you are using a gray card that is.
3. Hold before taking pictures
Before every shot, hold your body in place for ~10-15 seconds. This will allow enough time for the camera to adjust to your body’s temperature. Also, try to get into a comfortable position so you are not straining yourself when creating each image.
4. Test each color/mode combination (JPEG vs RAW)
Since our desired result is in the form of an HDR image, it will be easier to see and analyze the results when looking at our photos in both raw and jpeg. Since we are testing different modes and color combinations, it will be easier to compare images if they are taken in the same setting (ISO 100-200mm on a tripod).
Frequently Asked Questions
Which camera is best for 4K video?
There are several options you can consider. If you are on a budget, you can choose Kicteck Ultra HD Digital 4K Camera 60FPS or AKASO EK7000 4K30FPS. If money isn’t an issue then you can choose the Panasonic LUMIX FZ80.
Is a 4K camera worth it?
Yes, 4K cameras are worth it. However, a 4K camera will be suitable only for a specific purpose like commercials, documentaries, and news media that require high-quality footage. Most of the content that we watch online doesn’t need a 4K resolution or more than 60 frames per second.
What is the cheapest 4K camera?
There are two answers to this question, a camera that can shoot 4K but compressed as below and the one that you need to pay 3-4 times more but is capable of shooting a full 4K.
Which camera can shoot 4K 60fps?
You can use Canon 1DX Mark II to shoot 4k photos and videos at a speed of 60fps.
Is a 4K camera better than 1080p?
No. 1080p camera has a better low light performance in comparison to 4K camera.
In a nutshell, there are various 4K camera options to consider for your photographic desires. From this guide, we hope that it will be easier to land one more than ever before. Just ensure that the best 4k camera under 500 option that attracts you is available from reputable dealers to avoid insolvencies.